17 April 2024

Visas for skilled workers working in oil and gas projects offshore

Roam Migration Law


Roam Migration Law is an Australian immigration law firm that helps individuals and organizations navigate the complexities of global migration. With expertise in visa procurement, strategic advice, and compliance, Roam simplifies the process of moving across borders. By focusing on people over policy, Roam strives to make immigration simpler, faster, and more compassionate. With a team of experts in international migration law, Roam is dedicated to breaking through bureaucratic barriers and helping clients find their place in the world.
Immigration laws have specific visa requirements for those entering Australia to participate in offshore resources activities.
Australia Immigration
To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on

Australia is a resource rich country, being a leading exporter of LNG extracted from a range of significant offshore and onshore gas fields expanding across the country.

Employers, employees and future applicants, potentially involved with Australian offshore oil and/or gas projects, may wonder which visa types you are eligible for.

Offshore resources activities include any operation or activity performed under the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2006 and the Offshore Minerals Act 1994

Australian immigration laws have specific visa requirements for individuals entering Australia to participate in, or support, offshore resources activities. 

Specifically, individuals are required to hold any one of the following visas:

All other visa Australian visa types are excluded and not suitable for individuals entering Australia to participate in or support offshore resource activities.

Subclass 400 vs Subclass 482 visa

While both the Subclass 400 and Subclass 482 visa subclasses allow holders to engage in offshore resources activities, there are significant differences in terms of cost, stay period and documentary evidence requirements.

Our  article and  fact sheet highlight the key differences between these two visa subclasses.

If you are looking to bring an overseas employee to work on a specific project for a short time, a Subclass 400 visa is an attractive option. However, if the project requires a longer-term commitment from the overseas employee, you can consider a Subclass 482 visa.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

See More Popular Content From

Mondaq uses cookies on this website. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies as set out in our Privacy Policy.

Learn More