On April 25, 2019, TTB published Industry Circular 2019-1. It addresses the hot topic of alcohol beverages (especially beer) infused with hemp-derived ingredients–with cannabidiol (CBD) as the clear focus of industry interest. While hardly surprising, the Industry Circular takes or reiterates the following positions:
- TTB will require a formula for any product containing a hemp-derived ingredient
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing a Schedule I controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing CBD until FDA changes its current position towards CBD as a food ingredient. FDA currently views interstate commerce in any food containing CBD as a violation of the federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act
- TTB will continue to approve formulas for alcohol beverages containing ingredients derived from hemp seeds and hemp oil
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing a hemp ingredient other than those derived from hemp seeds or oil unless it also receives adequate evidence that FDA deems the ingredient generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for food
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.