The SEC proposed updating its "auditor independence" rules and codifying certain staff consultations.
According to the SEC, the proposed amendments to Rule 2-01 of Regulation S-X would, among other things:
- clarify certain affiliate relationships in common control scenarios;
- lessen the look-back period for domestic first-time filers when assessing compliance with the independence requirements;
- expand the categorical exclusions from independence-impairing lending relationships to include certain student loans and de minimis consumer loans;
- replace the reference to "substantial stockholders" under the "business relationship rule" with a substantial influence analysis; and
- introduce a transition framework that addresses "inadvertent" independence violations that result from corporate events such as mergers and acquisitions.
Comments must be submitted with 60 days of publication in the Federal Register.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.