There are many costs involved when you sell your property and move into another, which can add up, making the whole process quite expensive. Consequently, sellers are looking at ways to reduce the costs, including choosing online estate agents rather than traditional estate agents.  

Another way sellers are attempting to save money is by deciding to move home themselves by either using their own vehicles or renting a van, as opposed to hiring a removal company. However, sellers may not realise that in moving themselves, their items may not be protected by their contents insurance.   

It is therefore advisable to check your contents policy to see what is covered before you move, to ensure any breakable values are protected under the terms of the insurance. Otherwise, it may be that your precious belongings are not safeguarded from any damage.   

A recent study by GoCompare Home Insurance revealed that whilst 78% of contents insurance cover policies covered house moving as standard under the policy, often this was only where a professional removal company had been hired to assist with the move. The consequences being that any items broken as part of a move which the seller has undertaken themselves may not be able to be claimed under their contents insurance.   

Many insurance policies also do not cover items which are put into storage units.  If you are moving home and considering putting your items in storage, it would be advisable to see if your contents insurance covers this or if you need to take out additional insurance through the storage company.   

It is always advisable to check your insurance policy for any exclusions as some valuables such as money, jewellery and collectable stamps are regularly excluded from policies.    

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.