In this edition of Pensions Round-Up we look at key developments in pensions legislation, case law and regulatory guidance from July 2019 including:
- The Pensions Regulator: a consultation on the future of trusteeship and governance; a statement about the Regulator's plans for reviewing its codes of practice; and a consultation on draft guidance which aims to support trustees in meeting their new duties in relation to investment consultancy and fiduciary management services.
- Department for Work and Pensions: a consultation on draft regulations to integrate some of the provisions of the Competition and Markets Authority's Order on investment consultancy and fiduciary management into pensions law; and a written statement about survivor pension benefits.
- HMRC: the publication of a pension schemes newsletter; and two countdown bulletins in relation to the end of contracting-out.
- Case law: a High Court judgment which considers the duty to provide information; and a Court of Appeal judgment which considers a scheme provision about eligibility for a dependant's pension.
- Public Service Pension Schemes: a written statement about transitional provisions in public service pension schemes.
- Other news: The Pensions Ombudsman's Annual Report and Accounts; the publication of a Call to Action document by the GMP Equalisation Working Group; and guidance on DB transfers.
- On the Horizon: a timeline of some of the key future developments in pensions to help employers and trustees plan ahead.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.