Kristen Mathews, partner in Morrison & Foerster's Privacy + Data Security practice, is one of the many lawyers leading the way for MoFo. For over 20 years, she has been a lead advisor to her clients on some of the most complex privacy and cybersecurity issues, including crisis, compliance and transactional matters. This includes helping clients respond to cybersecurity incidents and advising clients on complying with data laws such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Kristen helps businesses across industries handle data about individuals in a way that both serves their business needs and also navigates the many U.S., state, and international laws that regulate the collection, use, and sharing of personal information. She helps businesses form programs to protect information from unauthorized access, plan for and react to cybersecurity breaches, and defend claims that tend to follow cybersecurity breaches. She also provides counsel on direct marketing compliance, online advertising, telematics, and employee and workplace privacy. Kristen's clients span a broad range of industries, including technology, finance, retail, consumer goods, health, insurance, media, education, automotive, utilities, sports, and hospitality.
Five things you should know about Kristen Mathews are:
- She has assisted dozens of businesses in varying industries in becoming compliant with California's CCPA.
- Kristen developed an interest in privacy and data security in her undergraduate years after realizing that's where her two passions intersected — the Internet and the law.
- The Legal 500 inducted Kristen into its Hall of Fame in the category of Cyber Law.
- In addition to her regular practice, Kristen is also a prolific writer and speaker on the topic of data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Kristen's "happy places" are in her back yard on her hammock reading to her kids and in the ocean riding waves.