Mythili Markowski, counsel in the firm's Intellectual Property section, will speak at the CenterForce Women, Diversity & Change Summit in Washington DC on March 26, 2020. She will participate in a panel titled, "Redefining Success: Knowing What You Want, Why You Deserve It, and How to Get It."
By now it's fairly common knowledge: Women often do not apply for a job if they don't check every box, whereas men regularly seek jobs for which they are only partially qualified. This is no less true in the legal profession and applies to landing an entry-level position all the way up to being promoted to general counsel or making partner. Pursuing growth opportunities and nontraditional paths require the confidence to see your own potential and the necessary personal awareness to get in touch with what is important to you.
This panel will explore:
- Getting clear on what you really want
- The ASK: Asking for what you want and knowing why you deserve it
- The meritocracy and why it cannot be relied on
- Dealing with rejection – every "no" means you are closer to a "yes"
- Differentiating sponsors from influencers and mentors
- Cultivating potential sponsors
- How best to advocate for ourselves and others