We spoke with Marianne Blattès, Kennedys' senior diversity, equity and inclusion manager about the event she's helping to organise at Dive In Festival 2023 – ' Mind the gap: Why social mobility matters' ( sign up with Dive In to register your place).
Moderated by Cynthia Dugan - Head of Sales & Client Management for Financial Solutions, WTW, on 27 September, the event's panellists include:
- Steve Woodhouse - Regional People Leader, Marsh McLennan UK
- Kate Hawthorn - Director of Talent, FDM Group
- Carrie-Anne Adams - Head of I&D, Tokio Marine Kiln
- Sarah Ibrahim - Data Analyst – Content & Collaboration, Renaissance Re
- Boaz Appiah - Underwriter – Political Violence, Chaucer Group plc
Marianne, what's the event all about?
The event focuses on social mobility and how companies can encourage and attract people from different socio-economic backgrounds into the insurance sector.
Marianne Blattès, Senior Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Manager
What's the main thing you'd like people to take away from the event?
Socio-economic background is largely an invisible characteristic which at times tends to be forgotten in DEI agendas despite the fact that recent research by KPMG shows that class has a greater impact on someone's career progression than any other diversity characteristic. I would like organisations to value performance over polish and consider the (invisible) barriers that individuals from lower socio-economic backgrounds may face.