Appeal before the Commissioner of Income Tax (Appeals) - Section 246A

Appealable orders u/s 246A

Appeal can be filed before the CIT(A) against orders referred in section 246A of the Act, which covers substantial orders passed under the Act, such as:

  • Intimation/Assessment: u/s 143(1)/(1B), u/s 143(3), u/s 163
  • Rectification: u/ s154
  • Reassessment: u/s 147
  • TDS/TCS: u/s 200A(1), u/s 206CB(1), u/s 201; u/s 206C(6A)
  • Search/Seizure: u/s 153A
  • Penalty: u/s 221; u/s271,u/s 271A, u/s 271AAA, u/s 271AAB, u/s 271F, u/s 271FB, u/s 272AA or u/s 272BB; u/s 275(1A), u/s 271B or u/s 271BB; u/s 271C, u/s 271CA, u/s 271D or u/s 271E, u/s 272A, u/s 272AA; under Chapter XXI

Non -Appealable orders before the CIT(A)

  • Order passed u/s 144C pursuant to DRP directions
  • Revisionary order passed by CIT u/s 263
  • Order revoking registration u/s 12A passed by DIT(E) u/s 12AA(3)
  • Order disposing legal objections u/s 147

Appealable orders u/s 248

  • With respect to the payment to non-residents, an assessee can dispute its obligation to deduct tax at source through an application under section 195(2) of the Act.
  • A separate appeal against such order passed by the AO under section 195(2) can be challenged before CIT(A) under section 248 of the Act.

To view this Presentation in full, please click here.

© 2018, Vaish Associates Advocates,
All rights reserved
Advocates, 1st & 11th Floors, Mohan Dev Building 13, Tolstoy Marg New Delhi-110001 (India).

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist professional advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. The views expressed in this article are solely of the authors of this article.