Employees' Provident Fund Organization has circulated a circular1 on it web-portal in relation to e-Nomination facility for its members.
As per the circular:
- EPFO has launched 'e-nomination facility' on Member Portal for members who have their Aadhar linked and verified;
- Online Pension claims is dependent upon the availability of e-nomination by the member;
- A message asking member employees to file e-nomination would be displayed in the login of the member; and
- A list of employees who have not filed their e-nomination would be displayed to the employers in the employer's login.
The employers should ask their employees to file their e-nominations at the earliest. This is because:
- The upcoming claim settlement modules are being designed to check this feature as a compliance; and
- Failure to nominate a nominee or appointment of a person other than a member under term 'family' (as defined under Section 2(g) of the Employees' Provident Funds Scheme 1952) causes hardship to the employees' heirs in receiving the provident fund, family pension, insurance fund accumulations of a deceased member.
For an employer, hopefully, this facility will not only streamline the process but also reduce paper work. For employees' nominee, the process may facilitate faster settlement of claims.
1. Circular No. NDC/2017/UAN/Pt/361 dated 12th September
© 2019, Vaish Associates Advocates,
All rights reserved
Advocates, 1st & 11th Floors, Mohan Dev Building 13, Tolstoy Marg New Delhi-110001 (India).
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist professional advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. The views expressed in this article are solely of the authors of this article.