As well as direct insurance companies, who will be able to take advantage of the single market in insurance, Gibraltar provides an attractive environment for:
- Captive insurance companies
- Re-insurance companies
- International insurers setting up a base from which to access the EEA market
- Insurance services companies establishing a European offshore cross-boarder base e.g.:
* international insurance brokers * claims managers * loss adjusters * companies wishing to re-domicile.
Companies already established in another jurisdiction wishing to take advantage of Gibraltar's unique regime for insurance business have the relatively simple option to re-domicile to Gibraltar. In other words, simply "moving" their operations in their entirety to Gibraltar without having to close down their existing operation and set up afresh in Gibraltar.
Once a re-domiciled company obtains its licence and registers in Gibraltar it becomes a Gibraltar company.
Countries from which insurance companies can re-domicile to Gibraltar include:
- all EEA member states
- British Dependent Territories (including Bermuda and the Cayman Islands)
- British Commonwealth countries (including Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man)
Anthony Fisher Finance Centre Development Director Department of Trade & Industry Government of Gibraltar Suite 771, Europort Gibraltar Tel No: + 350 50011 Fax No: + 350 47677 E-mail: Click Contact Link Website: Click Contact Link
You may also wish to read through related material on business and finance in Gibraltar provided by the Gibraltar Finance Centre.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.