Stikeman Elliott partner Jared Bachynski recently spoke to Lexpert about the state of tech sector IPOs and M&A as the market heads into 2021. As a Vancouver-based corporate finance specialist with a focus on technology businesses, Jared has an up-close view of current trends and opportunities.
The Lexpert Q&A, which is accessible here, looks at the following questions:
- How is the growing IPO market affecting the Canadian tech sector?
- If a tech startup is looking at an IPO, how should it approach valuation?
- Will tech M&A proceed mainly along traditional transactional avenues or will we be seeing more Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) deals?
- How can Canadian tech companies attract foreign investment and what special issues does cross-border M&A raise?
- Are there any special rules for firms in highly cyclical subsectors?
- How should private equity firms that are new to the tech sector be positioning themselves?
- What are the prospects for cryptocurrency in a potentially inflationary period coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic?
As we look ahead to a busy 2021 working with technology-focused clients from across Canada, the U.S. and overseas, we hope you find this overview useful.
Originally Published by Stikeman Elliott, March 2021
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.