Three members of our Toronto office who work with investment funds recently authored the Canadian chapter of Practical Law’s Global Guide 2019: Retail Investment Funds. This publication provides a concise overview of the legal and regulatory issues in this area, with particular attention to the following:
- Structure of the Canadian retail funds market;
- Statutes, regulations and regulatory bodies;
- Prospectus and AIF requirements for retail funds;
- Marketing of retail funds;
- Requirements for fund managers and operators;
- Foreign managers;
- Rules governing custodians;
- Structuring open-ended and close-ended retail funds;
- Investment and borrowing restrictions;
- Restrictions on issuance, redemption, transfer or assignment of interests;
- Periodic reporting requirements;
- Tax treatment of retail funds;
- Quasi-retail funds in Canada (e.g. labour-sponsored funds); and
- Proposed reforms.
We are pleased to be able to make this 12-page publication available for downloading.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.