With the world still reeling from the impact of the Covid-19 Pandemic, it is no wonder there are still restrictions on international travel. At Ramsden Lawyers we appreciate the necessity of these restrictions to help keep Australia safe and free from COVID-19, however are proficient and supportive throughout the travel exemption process.
However, as immigration lawyers we are also intimately aware of the crucial importance of travel in many peoples' lives, be it for business or personal reasons. This is why we are passionate about assisting people who are eligible for a travel exemption in lodging their application, and why we have quickly acquired a track record of success in this area.
At the moment the travel restrictions prohibit anyone who is an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident from leaving the country without an exemption. While there is discussion about the possibility of travel bubbles arising in the near future, for the most part a travel exemption is essential in order to travel overseas.
The Australian Border Force provides that to be eligible for a travel exemption, one of the following grounds must apply:
- your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
- your travel is for your business/employer
- you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
- you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
- you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
- your travel is in the national interest.
If you are on a temporary visa and are wishing for an exemption to travel overseas for a short period of time, the restrictions are even tighter and require that:
- you meet the requirements for an individual exemption from Australia's Inward Travel Restrictions, and
- you have a strong compassionate or compelling reason to leave Australia supported by relevant documentary evidence, for example:
- attending the funeral of a close family member overseas, visiting a close family member who is seriously or critically ill, or seeking necessary medical treatment not available in Australia, or
- travel is essential for business purposes
RECORD OF SUCCESS
So far, we have been able to successfully obtain exemptions for our clients to travel to a wide variety of places, including to:
- the United States of America
- the United Kingdom
The circumstances of some of our successful travel exemption applications include:
- Caring for sick parents
- Dealing with commercial negotiations
- Pursuing long distances relationships (some of which have only been in existence for weeks)
- Developing a company
We have been able to obtain exemption for extended (3 month) periods of travel, as well as shorter intermittent periods. Furthermore, the Ramsden team have been successful in obtaining travel exemptions for clients who had previously had their exemption applications refused.
If you need a travel exemption to leave Australia for personal or business reasons and want assistance putting forward your strongest possible application, please contact our team of experienced migration lawyers here at Ramsden Lawyers, where we would be happy to assist you.