In the media

COVID-19 vaccine certificates could facilitate students' return to Australia
Could large numbers of international students return to Australia without quarantining? This could be on the horizon if Australia implements a proposal that would see COVID-19 digital vaccine certificates used to bring in students into the country (25 January 2021). More...

In practice and courts and publishing

Further changes to support Family visa applicants
The temporary concession to allow applicants to remain in Australia to progress their visa will apply to the following Family visa subclasses: Partner (subclass 309) visa; Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa; Child (subclass 101) visa; Adoption (subclass 102) visa; Dependent Child (subclass 445) visa
The changes will come into effect early 2021. Further information will be made available on the Department of Home Affairs website. More...


Fevaleaki and Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs (Migration) [2021] AATA 34
MIGRATION – refusal of application for Return (Residence) (Class BB) (Subclass 155) visa under section 501(1) - where Applicant does not pass the character test – whether the discretion to refuse to grant the visa should be exercised – consideration of Ministerial Direction No. 79 – sexual offences – no prior or subsequent offending – genuine remorse and remote risk of re-offending – significant ties to community – decision under review set aside


Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Emergency Requirements—Incoming International Flights) Determination 2021
21/01/2021 - This instrument implements safe air travel measures through placing requirements on passengers and crew

This publication does not deal with every important topic or change in law and is not intended to be relied upon as a substitute for legal or other advice that may be relevant to the reader's specific circumstances. If you have found this publication of interest and would like to know more or wish to obtain legal advice relevant to your circumstances please contact one of the named individuals listed.