Parent category to reopen in 2020
The Parent resident visa category is due to reopen in February 2020, with updated qualifying criteria. INZ will not be accepting new expressions of interest (EOIs) until this time.
What are the changes?
- Parent category resident visas will be capped at 1000 per year.
- The current two-tier system will be replaced by a single system.
- Financial requirements for applicants and sponsors will be significantly increased, as set out in the below table received from INZ:
- The financial requirements for sponsors will be updated each year based on the New Zealand median income.
- Sponsors will need to meet the income threshold for two out of the three years before a Parent resident visa application is submitted.
- The ability to qualify based on settlement funds or a guaranteed lifetime income will be removed.
- This category will temporarily close, effective immediately.
- EOIs will be accepted based on the new qualifying criteria, from February 2020.
- The first EOI selection will take place, in May 2020.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.