The Blue-EU Card is a temporary work and residence permit that a Spanish company can apply for in order to hire a highly qualified non-EU employee to commence work in Spain.


– That the applicant is not unlawfully residing in Spanish territory

– That the national employment situation permits hiring the applicant.

This requirement is met when the job to be carried out by the foreigner is classified as "hard to fill" or the company can prove to the Spanish authorities the difficulty of filling job vacancies with the existing employees in the Spanish labour market.

– That the terms and conditions specified in the employment contract must comply with the current legislation and the gross annual salary must be at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary (34.210,44 € for 2019).

– That the job position requires a recognized university diploma of a minimum duration of three years, or, in exceptional cases, to provide proof of a minimum of five years of professional experience comparable to said qualification and related to the activity for which permit is requested.

– That the company has sufficient funds, material assets, and human resources for both its business project and to meet the obligations acquired through the contract with the employee.

Mobility of employees holding a Blue-EU card in another Member State of the European Union

Holders of a Blue-EU Card issued by a Member State of the European Union and their family members will have their entry to other European Union countries facilitated when they are hired by EU companies to perform highly qualified work activities.

Validity and renewal

The granting of this type of permit enables them to reside and work in Spain during the period of one year.

The temporary renewal of the work and residence permit will last for a period of two years.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.