I. June 28, 2012 - Mississippi Certificate Of Need Meeting
Dr. Mary Currier, State Health Officer, concurred with the Health Policy & Planning staff analyses and approved the following applications for Certificate of Need:
A. CON Review HG-NIS-0212-001 - Baptist Medical Center-Leake, Inc. - Offering of Mobile MRI Services - Location: Carthage, Leake County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $0 - Staff Recommendation: Approval
B. CON Review HG-AA-0312-004 - Magee Benevolent Association d/b/a Magee General Hospital - Purchase of Interest in Owner of Medical Office Building - Location: Magee, Simpson County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $7,054,525 - Staff Recommendation: Approval
C. CON Review HG-/rc-0312-007 - Clarksdale HMA, LLC d/b/a Northwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center Renovation/Expansion of Radiology Department - Location: Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $3,884.214 - Staff Recommendation: Approval
D. CON Review HG-FE-0312-006 – Clarksdale HMA, LLC d/b/a Northwest MS RMC – Conversion of Mobile MRI to Fixed MRI – Location: Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi – Capital Expenditure: $387,500 – Staff Recommendation: Approval
E. CON Review ESRD-NIS-0312-005 - Renal Care Group Tupelo, LLC d/b/a RCG of Central New Albany - Establishment of a Satellite ESRD Facility - Location: New Albany, Union County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $1,569,133 - Staff Recommendation: Approval The next Certificate of Need Monthly Meeting will be held on July 26, 2012 at 11:00 a.m.
II. July 11, 2012 – Board Meeting of the Mississippi State Board of Health
During its July 11, 2012 meeting, the Board of Health approved the following revisions to the State Health Plan, effective September 1, 2012:
A. Mobile MRI Services - Revision to Chapter 5 of the Mississippi State Health Plan.
Section 112.01.03 "Certificate of Need Criteria and Standards for the Acquisition or Otherwise Control of MRI Equipment" and Section 112.01.04 "Certificate of Need Criteria and Standards for the Offering of Fixed or Mobile MRI Services" will both be revised to provide:
(i) that a rural hospital means a facility located outside U.S. Census Bureau Metropolitan Statistical Areas with fewer than 75 beds (down from the prior 100 bed threshold); and
(ii) that an applicant must identify a reasonable population base to document that a minimum of 1700 procedures per year will be performed per proposed mobile MRI route exclusively servicing rural hospitals.
B. Satellite End Stage Renal Disease Services Facilities - Revision to Chapter 7 of the Mississippi State Health Plan.
Section 104.02.01(3) will be revised to require that the distance from the existing ESRD facility to the ESRD satellite facility be between 5 miles (versus the previous 3 miles) and 25 miles and to reduce the required minimum annual utilization rate necessary for the existing ESRD facility to create a satellite facility to 60% (down from the previous 65%) for the 12 months prior to the month of the CON application submissions.
III. Certificate Of Need Program Report – Filings/Reports Since May 2012 CON Meeting
A. Letters of Intent to Change Ownership
1. MS Lakeside, LLC d/b/a Lakeside Living Center-Notice of Intent to Change Ownership - Received June 25, 2012
2. MS Shelby, LLC d/b/a Shelby Nursing & Rehabilitation - Notice of Intent to Change Ownership - Received June 25, 2012
3. MS Singing River, LLC d/b/a Singing River - Notice of Intent to Change Ownership - Received June 25, 2012
B. Determinations of Reviewability
1. MS Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, LLC – Replacement MRI Received June 7, 2012
2. Anderson Regional Medical Center - Acquisition of the Assets from Regional Medical Support Center, Inc., upon Dissolution of the Corporation - Received June 11, 2012
3. Bio Medical Applications of MS, Inc. d/b/a Fresenius Medical Care Dekalb - Relocation of ESRD Facility within One Mile - Received June 22, 2012
4. Renal Care Group of MS, Inc. d/b/a RCG-Starkville - Expansion of ESRD Stations - Received June 22, 2012
5. Ocean Springs Dialysis- Addition of isolation Unit in Ocean Springs Dialysis Center - Received June 26, 2012
C. Letters of Intent to Apply for CON
1. Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, Inc.- Hospital Replacement & Relocation. Received May 30, 2012
2. Calvary Pediatric Facilities - Calvary Pediatric Facilities Skilled Nursing Project. Received June 12, 2012
3. Open MRI, Inc. - Gulfport Holdings SUMRI-OMRI. Received June 26, 2012
4. Adams County Nursing Center - Relocation of 20 Nursing Home Beds from Natchez, Mississippi to Brookhaven, Mississippi for the Construction of an Assisted Living Facility (Bright Morning Star). Received June 28, 2012
D. Applications Received/Withdrawn
1. Compass Imaging, LLC - Establishment of Mobile MRI Services. Received June 1, 2012
2. RCG Mississippi, Inc. d/b/a Lowndes County Dialysis Establishment of a Satellite ESRD Facility. Received June 1, 2012
3. Fresenius Medical Care-North America, Inc. d/b/a Bio Medical Applications of MS, Inc. d/b/a RCG of West Point-Cost Overrun (Establishment of Satellite ESRD Facility). Received June 22, 2012
4. Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, Inc.-Hospital Replacement and Relocation Capital Expenditure $313,508,083. Received June 29, 2012
E. Applications Received for Extension/Renewal of an Expired CON
F. Additional Material Received in Response to Negative Staff Analysis
G. CON Applications Deemed Complete
1. CON Review Number NH-CRF-0512-011 – Hinds County Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, LLC – Construction/Relocation and Replacement of 119 Nursing Home Beds/Services – Capital Expenditure: $9,650,798 – Complete June 4, 2012
H. Six-Month Extension Requests Granted
I. Staff Analysis Reports Issued in June 2012
1. CON Review HG-NIS-1111-02 - Harrison HMA, LLC d/b/a Gulf Coast Medical Center Construction/Relocation and Replacement Gulf Coast Medical Center-Location: Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $133,322,098 – Staff Recommendation: Approval
2. CON Review HG-SB-0312-008 - South Sunflower County Hospital -Renovation and Swing Bed Project - Location: Indianola, Sunflower County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $8,768,274 – Staff Recommendation: Approval
3. CON Review HG-SB-0212-002 - Anderson Regional Medical Center - Establishment of Swing Bed Services - Location: Meridian, Lauderdale County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $0 – Staff Recommendation: Approval
4. CON Review HG-MOB-0312-010 - South Central Regional Medical Center Construction of a Medical Office Building and Relocation/Development of One Operating Room Suite - Location: Laurel, Jones County, Mississippi - Capital Expenditure: $2,851,449 – Staff Recommendation: Approval
J. Hearings Requested/Scheduled During the Course of Review
1. CON Review HP-RLS-0312-003 – Rehabilitation Centers, Inc. d/b/a Millcreek of Mississippi Behavioral Health Services – Relocation of Millcreek Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility and Intermediate Care Facility for the Mentally Retard – Capital Expenditure: $26,909-499 – Requestor: Millcreek Properties of Magee, Inc. – Received June 5, 2012 (Withdrawn June 25, 2012)
2. CON Review HG-SB-02120002 - Anderson Regional Medical Center (South Campus) – Establishment of Swing Bed Services – Capital Expenditure $0 – Requestor: Rush Medical Foundation d/b/a H.C. Watkins Memorial Hospital, Laird Hospital, Inc. and Kemper CAH, Inc. d/b/a John C. Stennis Memorial Hospital – Requested June 26, 2012 – To be scheduled
3. CON Review HG-NIS-1111-022 – Harrison HMA, LLC, d/b/a Gulf Coast Medical Center – Construction/Relocation and Replacement of Gulf Coast Medical Center – Capital Expenditure: $133,322,095 – Requestor: Singing River Health System (consisting of Singing River Hospital & Memorial Hospital of Gulfport – Requested June 29, 2012 – To be scheduled
K. Request for Hearing on Denial of Six Month Extension
1. CON Review # ESRD-NIS-0905-041; CON # R-0710 – Healthcare Engineers, LLC – Establishment of a Six Station ESRD Facility in Tallahatchie County – Capital Expenditure: $254,085 – Requestor: Alliance Health Partners, LLC d/b/a Tri-Lakes Medical Center. To be scheduled.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.