In order to open a branch office, a license must be obtained from the Ministry of Commerce under Annex C 3 (1) of the NEC No. 281. The scope of the activities will be the same as defined in the Memorandum of Association of its principal office overseas. The Registrar will consider giving a license under the following conditions:-

1. the business which requires special knowledge or skills which Thai do not readily possess;

2. the business shall not complete with businesses operated by Thais;

3. the business shall use foreign knowledge or capital; and

4. the business shall give benefit to Thailand in the following ways:-

4.1 bringing in new technology;
4.2 causing the full use of the natural resources; and
4.3 supporting the export of Thai goods.

NOTE: The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

If you would like further advice please contact: David Ellis, Johnson Stokes & Master, 16th Floor, Princes Building, 10 Chater Road, Hong Kong; Tel 2843 4226; Fax no. : 2845 9121. Alternatively do a text search "Johnson Stokes and Master" and "Business Monitor".