Keywords: insurance industry, domestic insurance
The State Council of the People's Republic of China has issued Several Opinions on Accelerating the Development of the Modern Insurance Industry ("2014 Insurance Opinions"), effective from 10 August 2014.
Further opening up and modernising China's insurance industry and market is one of the strategic initiatives set out in the 2014 Insurance Opinions. More specifically:
- Foreign insurance companies are encouraged to bring advanced experience and technology into the China market;
- Mergers and acquisitions and reorganisations of insurance companies in China will be systematically regulated;
- The Chinese government will support domestic insurance companies to be listed on both the domestic and overseas stock markets;
- Domestic insurance companies are encouraged to enter overseas markets through various channels and to export their services; and
- The scope of outbound investment using domestic insurance capital is to be expanded.
Earlier this year, the China Insurance Regulatory Commission issued the Administrative Measures for the Merger and Acquisition of Insurance Companies, effective from 1 June 2014. Please refer to our Global Corporate Insurance and Regulatory Bulletin for details.
Originally published 27 August 2014
Visit us at www.mayerbrownjsm.com
Mayer Brown is a global legal services organization comprising legal practices that are separate entities (the Mayer Brown Practices). The Mayer Brown Practices are: Mayer Brown LLP, a limited liability partnership established in the United States; Mayer Brown International LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales; Mayer Brown JSM, a Hong Kong partnership, and its associated entities in Asia; and Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. "Mayer Brown" and the Mayer Brown logo are the trademarks of the Mayer Brown Practices in their respective jurisdictions.
© Copyright 2014. The Mayer Brown Practices. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein. Please also read the JSM legal publications Disclaimer.