Cayman Islands: Residence and Employment

Last Updated: 17 January 2006

The Cayman Islands, being a British Dependent Territory and not an independent country, cannot grant citizenship, which is governed by the British Nationality Act, but it determines its own immigration policies, which are contained in the Immigration Law, and the conditions on which any individual, partnership or company may carry on business. Except for the businesses of banking (see Chapter II), insurance (see Chapter III), company management, hotel operations and legal and medical professions, the carrying on of business is regulated by the Trade and Business Licensing Law and the Local Companies (Control) Law, laws closely related to the Immigration Law.

Persons granted permission to enter, even if they have permission to reside in the Islands, are not permitted to engage in any form of employment, or carry on or offer to carry on any financial, professional, trade or business activity unless licensed to do so. Applications are dealt with by the Immigration Board ("the Board"), which is appointed by Government to control the entry to, residence and employment in the Islands of individuals who do not possess "Caymanian status" (a blanket right to live and work), as well as the carrying on of businesses which are subject to the abovementioned licensing Laws.

Anyone coming to the Cayman Islands to live may do so either to take up temporary or permanent residence, or for the purpose of accepting a specific offer of employment.


It is Government policy to welcome as residents foreign nationals of good character and financial standing who are in a position to make a substantial investment in a home or local enterprise in the Islands, and to support themselves and any dependents without engaging in employment. Any details of assets owned and income from any source supplied to Immigration are treated in confidence. For the past several years, the minimum required
investment has been the equivalent of US$180,000.00, but this figure could well be increased at any time.

Residence status does not confer any right to work in the Islands, but a resident may without specific permission hold shares in a local company or accept appointment as a director provided that the directorship does not entail day-to-day management of the company's affairs.

Temporary Residence

Qualified persons may be granted permission to land in the Islands as visitors for a period up to six months on application made to the Chief Immigration Officer. Applicants must also submit photographs, evidence of good health, police clearance certificates and character and financial references. Spouses and young children may be included in the application as dependents, but accompanying children eighteen and over must make their own applications.

(For applicants from the United Kingdom or other countries where police do not issue clearance
certificates, an affidavit of no convictions, sworn before a notary public, may be submitted.)

There is presently no application fee, but on the grant of this temporary "residence", the grantee will be required to deposit for himself and any dependents a sum of money sufficient to cover any possibility of repatriation. The actual sum required is based on nationality and size of family and is refundable on request following the grant of permanent residence or the election of the grantee to depart permanently from the Islands.When the required sum has been deposited, an entry permit, normally valid for six months, is issued permitting the grantee and any accompanying dependents to enter the Islands to take up temporary residence. On arrival, the applicant and any accompanying adult dependents must produce, along with the entry permit, a valid passport or some other valid travel document and a return ticket. The entry permit is then withdrawn and a six-month residency endorsement is made in or on the travel document. This six-month period may be extended from time to time for further periods
not exceeding six months on each occasion, but will normally be restricted to one such extension (see Permanent Residence below).

There is no requirement to own a residence or to have made any other investment in the Islands prior to making an application; the initial six-month residence period would provide the individual with an opportunity to determine whether he would like to apply for permanent residence and, if so, to seek out the property or local enterprise of his choice. The Government's interest at this stage is in learning whether the applicant has sufficient financial
resources to make the required investment in the Cayman Islands in due course.

Permanent Residence

The Immigration Law provides that only after a person has been living in the Cayman Islands for more than six months is he or she eligible to apply for permanent residence, but Government policy dictates that if the application for permanent residence is not made within twelve months of taking up temporary residence, temporary residence will come to an end.

At any time after his temporary residence grant has been extended, i.e. during the second six month period, a temporary resident may make an application to the Board (accompanied by a small fee) for the grant of permanent residence to himself and his spouse and any accompanying children under eighteen. All adults must be in possession of valid passports at the time of making this application.

It is at this stage that the applicant must satisfy the Board that he has made his required investment in the Islands, by submitting evidence that he has done so. A non-refundable fee is payable to the Government on the grant of permanent residence.

A permanent resident may, after two years' continuous residence, apply to the Board for permission to engage in gainful occupation, though only in exceptional circumstances will the Board grant this permission to an applicant with less than five years' residence. Such permission will normally be restricted to a particular employer only (which may be his own company) or, in the case of a self-employed person, to a particular field of employment. If granted permission to work, a fee equal to that required for a work permit (see below) for the type of work concerned will be payable annually to the Government.

Under Cayman Islands law, the grant of permission to reside permanently in the Islands has no effect on the grantee's citizenship. It only establishes his right to land in, or having landed, to remain or reside in the Islands without in each case requiring the specific permission of an immigration officer. Permanent residence is not, however, in the true sense "permanent". It may be withdrawn or lost, not only for serious criminal and subversive activity, but for ordinary residence outside the Islands continuously for a period of one year.

A resident of the Islands may acquire a domicile of choice if the requirements of physical presence and the intention to remain permanently are met, always a question of fact. Acquisition of a Cayman Islands domicile may in certain instances result in tax savings.


It is Government policy to encourage preference in employment to persons who possess Caymanian status while recognizing that the small local population base, coupled with the continuing expansion of the economy, often entails the recruitment of skills from overseas. With a few exceptions, eg, persons employed by the Cayman Islands Government or permanent residents to whom permission to work has been granted (see above), every person coming to the Islands to take up employment requires a work permit. Work permits are normally restricted to a particular employer only, for a specific position. Although the Board has power to grant permits for a period not exceeding three years and occasionally does so, it usually issues them for not more than a two-year period.

Under this heading, the permission for an employee to enter and reside in the Islands includes any dependents named by him in his application and permitted to accompany him to the Islands. Their residence status does not confer any right to work, and expires automatically on the expiry or earlier termination of the employee's work permit.

Persons in the Service of Any Other Person

Both the employer and the employee must join in making an application for a work permit, but the onus is on the employer to provide the Board with details of the position available and the qualifications and/or experience required to fill it, show that he has properly advertised the position and that no person of Caymanian status applied
for or was qualified to fill it. He must also submit a small application fee, photographs and a police clearance certificate (or affidavit in lieu: see Temporary Residence above), and evidence of the qualifications or experience, good health and character of the employee, as well as accommodation for the use of the employee and his family. (As a general rule, an employee will not be permitted to bring more than three dependents to the Islands, all of whom must be named in the permit application, and an unskilled worker may not bring any).

On the grant of a work permit, the Government requires payment of a permit fee and a repatriation deposit, but this is the responsibility of the employer, and it is an offence for him to seek any reimbursement from the employee or make any deduction from his remuneration in respect of either.

After the permit has been issued and received by the employee, he will be permitted to enter the Islands. On arrival he must also produce a valid passport. His permission to remain is valid as long as his work permit is valid. A work permit ceases to be valid on its expiry date, unless prior application for renewal is made, or on any earlier termination of his employment.

Self-Employed Persons

Exceptionally, the Board may grant a work permit to an individual to engage in a particular business or profession on his own account. Anyone wishing to be self-employed in the Islands must follow the procedure set out above, with the exception of the requirement to advertise in the local press. The applicant must also submit evidence that he is in a financial position to carry on the proposed business or profession, and provide the Board
with information as to whether a local office will be opened and any employment opportunities which may be offered to any person of Caymanian status. Unless he wishes to practice in the legal or medical profession (see exceptions in introduction), he is further required to have his own trade and business license (see below), normally a formality and which may be applied for and considered by the Board together with his application for
the work permit.

Only in exceptional circumstances may the Board permit foreign professionals, including accountants, architects, surveyors, et al, as well as lawyers and health practitioners, to practice alone. The general rule is that a work permit for a professional may only be applied for by and granted to another professional in the same category as the person requiring the work permit.

Temporary Employment

The Government recognizes that there may be circumstances where, for brief periods of time, employers or others require specialized skills or services not available locally, and relieves the applicants from the more onerous requirements for the grant of a longer-term work permit. A person entering the Islands on this basis may do so on the grant of a temporary work permit, which may be issued by the Chief Immigration Officer and the Chairman of
the Board jointly for a period not exceeding thirty days.

As with a longer-term work permit, the employer and temporary employee must join in making the application, but the employer must satisfy the Chief Immigration Officer that the position is genuinely temporary and that suitable living accommodation will be available for the employee, and pay all fees and other money to the Government. The only other documents required are photographs of the employee and a police clearance for him (or affidavit in lieu: see Temporary Residence above).

Usually, this type of permit is not extended or re-issued, and the employee must depart from the Islands after completing his special task. However, in exceptional cases involving circumstances which could not have been foreseen at the time of the original application, the Chief Immigration Officer and the Chairman of the Board may extend it for a further period up to thirty days.

Carrying on Business

Subject to the exceptions mentioned earlier, every individual, partnership and company carrying on any trade, business or profession in the Islands requires a license under the Trade and Business Licensing Law, and if any individual (whether or not in partnership with another) does not possess Caymanian status or any company is not at least sixty percent Caymanian owned and controlled, he or it requires an additional license - in the case of an individual a work permit, and in the case of a company a license under the Local Companies (Control) Law. Only ordinary and foreign companies (see Chapter IV) are permitted to carry on business in the Islands.

The expression "carrying on business in the Islands" is defined in Section 2 of the Local Companies (Control) Law in relation to any company and includes carrying on business of any kind or type whatever EXCEPT:-

(a) carrying on, from a principal place of business in the Islands, business exterior to the Islands;

(b) doing business in the Islands with any person, firm or corporation in furtherance only of the business of the company carried on exterior to the Islands;

(c) buying or selling or otherwise dealing in shares, bonds, debenture stock, obligations, mortgages or other securities, issued or created by any exempted company, foreign partnership or resident corporation incorporated abroad;

(d) transacting banking business in the Islands with and through a licensed bank;

(e) effecting or concluding contracts in the Islands with and exercising in the Islands all other powers, so far as may be necessary for the carrying on of the business of that company exterior to the Islands;

(f) the business of an exempted company with another exempted company, a foreign partnership or a resident corporation incorporated abroad.

Trade and Business License ("T&BL")

In the case of a person of Caymanian status or a company which is at least sixty percent Caymanian owned and controlled (i.e., shareholders and directors), obtaining a T&BL is, with a few exceptions, more or less a formality. It is also a formality in the case of any other individual as long as he holds a valid work permit, and in the case of any other company which possesses a Local Companies (Control) License as long as the annual license fees are paid in January of each year. The Trade & Business Licensing Law is a revenue- raising measure, and provides for all T&BLs to expire on December 31st annually.

The simple application procedure involves, in the case of an individual, submitting a completed form and paying the required fee. A company must in addition submit evidence of incorporation or registration, including its memorandum and articles or by-laws, and ownership and control. Suppressing from the Board the company's beneficial ownership and control, known locally as "fronting", is an offence which carries severe penalties.

Local Companies (Control) License ("LCCL")

Coupled with the Government's policy to permit persons of Caymanian status personally or through their companies freely to carry on business and protect them from foreign competition, it recognizes that a certain amount of foreign investment and expertise not locally available could be beneficial to the economy.

When considering applications from foreign-controlled companies for permission to carry on business, the Board is required to have regard to a number of specified conditions and consequences, generally balancing the advantages and disadvantages to the community as a whole.

Applications are made in the same manner as those for T&BL's, and both are usually submitted and considered together.LCCLs are granted for periods of not less than twelve years, but are in practice restricted to this period. Once granted, the only formality is for the licensee to pay the annual fee in January of each year.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Some comments from our readers…
“The articles are extremely timely and highly applicable”
“I often find critical information not available elsewhere”
“As in-house counsel, Mondaq’s service is of great value”

Related Topics
Related Articles
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Mondaq Free Registration
Gain access to Mondaq global archive of over 375,000 articles covering 200 countries with a personalised News Alert and automatic login on this device.
Mondaq News Alert (some suggested topics and region)
Select Topics
Registration (please scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions