- September 27, 2016 – In connection with a state visit to China by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Sinoenergy Corporation Ltd. announced its intention to support the operations of Long Run Exploration Ltd. by the injection of an additional CDN$500 million in investment over the next two years
- September 23, 2016 – Goldman, Sachs & Co. acquired 14.79 million common shares of Prairie Provident Resources Inc. in connection with the business combination of Lone Pine Resources Canada Ltd. and Arsenal Energy Inc. to form Prairie Provident. GS&Co now beneficially owns, controls and directs more than 10 per cent of the outstanding common shares of the amalgamated company.
- September 20, 2016 – Encana Corporation announced a public offering of 107 million common shares at a price of US$9.35 per share, for gross proceeds of US$1 billion. Encana intends to use roughly half of the net to fund a portion of its 2017 capital program. The majority of this capital program is expected to be allocated to growing Encana's Permian production.
- September 20, 2016 – InPlay Oil Corp. and Anderson Energy Inc. announced an agreement to combine to create a new, Cardium-focused producer. InPlay also announced an agreement to acquire Cardium light oil assets in the Pembina region of Alberta from Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. for total consideration of $47 million, made up of $42 million cash, and 16.67 million shares of InPlay having a deemed value of $5 million (30 cents per share).
- September 12, 2016 – Imperial Oil Limited announced that it will be seeking a buyer for its interest in the Norman Wells Oil Field in the Northwest Territories, though a definitive decision to sell the assets has not been made.
- September 9, 2016 – Suncor Energy Inc. announced that it will issue an aggregate of $1 billion of senior unsecured Series 5 medium term notes. The offering will be conducted in two tranches consisting of $700 million of senior unsecured Series 5 medium term notes maturing on Sept. 14, 2026, and $300 million of senior unsecured Series 5 medium term notes maturing on Sept. 13, 2046.
- September 9, 2016 – Crescent Point Energy Corp. entered into an agreement, on a bought deal basis, to sell 33.7 million common shares at $19.30 per share to raise gross proceeds of approximately CDN$650 million. Crescent Point increased its fourth quarter capital budget by $150 million, resulting in budgeted annual capital expenditures of $1.1 billion for 2016.
- September 27, 2016 – the Government of Canada announced its approval, subject to conditions, of Progress Energy's Pacific North West LNG project. The announcement was made at an evening press conference held in Richmond, British Columbia by federal Ministers Catherine McKenna (Environment), Jim Carr (Natural Resources), and Dominic LeBlanc (Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard). PETRONAS, the parent company of Progress Energy, subsequently announced that it will be reviewing the project internally in light of the conditions to approval imposed by the federal government and prevailing market conditions.
- September 19, 2016 – Seven Generations Energy Ltd. announced that it had entered into a development agreement with Steelhead LNG to explore infrastructure development and open new overseas markets for Canadian natural gas. 7G also acquired a minority ownership interest in Steelhead LNG.
- September 16, 2016 – The Alberta government approved three new oilsands proposals: (a) the Blackpearl Resources Inc. Blackrod SAGD development; (b) the Surmont Energy Ltd. Wildwood oilsands SAGD development; and (c) the Husky Energy Inc. Saleski oilsands development. Collectively these projects represent about $4 billion of potential investment into Alberta's economy and about 95,000 bbls per day of production.
- September 29, 2016 –Enbridge Inc. announced an agreement for the sale of liquids pipelines assets in the South Prairie Region to Tundra Energy Marketing Limited for $1.075 billion in cash. Closing of the transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2016.
- September 26, 2016 – TransCanada Corporation announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc. has offered to acquire, for cash, all of the 53.84 million outstanding common units of the master limited partnership, Columbia Pipeline Partners, LP at a price of US$15.75 per common unit (aggregate US$848 million). This represents an 11.3 per cent premium to the 30-day average closing price on September 23, 2016.
- September 7, 2016 – Veresen Inc. announced that Veresen Midstream secured CDN$650 million of new credit facilities, which will be primarily used to fund Veresen Midstream's contracted capital projects under construction, including the Sunrise, Tower and Saturn processing facilities.
- September 6, 2016 – Enbridge Inc. and Spectra Energy Corp. entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Enbridge and Spectra Energy will combine in a stock-for-stock merger transaction, which values Spectra Energy common stock at approximately CDN$37 billion (US$28 billion), based on the closing price of Enbridge's common shares on September 2, 2016. The combination will create the largest midstream energy company in North America and one of the largest globally based on a pro-forma enterprise value of approximately CDN$165 billion (US$127 billion). The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2017, subject to shareholder and certain regulatory approvals, and other customary conditions.
- September 2, 2016 – Enbridge Inc. announced that its affiliate, Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. (EEP), will defer its US$2.6 billion Sandpiper project in the Bakken and withdraw associated regulatory applications currently before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission. EEP decided that the project should be delayed until crude oil production in North Dakota recovers sufficiently to support development of new pipeline capacity.
Alternative / Green
- September 20, 2016 – In connection with Alberta's Climate Leadership Plan, the provincial government announced the appointment of a task force to provide recommendations on government investment into "climate technology." The appointees are: Gordon Lambert, chair; W.L. (Vic) Adamowicz; Shelly Vermillion; Suzanne West and Sara Hastings-Simon.
- September 19, 2016 – Canadian Environment Minister Catherine McKenna announced that Canada will impose a carbon price on provinces that do not adequately regulate emissions by themselves. Details of this new carbon price and how it will be implemented have not yet been announced.
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. Specific Questions relating to this article should be addressed directly to the author.