An electrical contractor has been hit with a huge fine after its
faulty electrical work led to a resident's death.
The contractor had installed an in-floor heating system in the
bathroom of a home. The resident, an elderly man, fell on the
floor in the bathroom and suffered second- and third-degree burns
from the overheated floor. He died in hospital. The
Electrical Safety Authority (Ontario) determined that the
floor's heat system sensor had not been installed, and the
heating system was wired to an incorrect voltage level.
The electrical contractor pleaded guilty to three charges of
violating the Ontario Electrical Safety Code: leaving an
unsafe electrical condition; failure to procure connection
authorization before use; and failure to apply for an electrical
inspection. According to the Electrical Safety
Authority, the fine was "the largest fine in the history of
electrical contractor licencing in Ontario."
The charges were not under the Occupational Health and
Safety Act because they dealt with a hazard to the resident,
not a worker. The charges, and the fine, show that serious
liability can result from multiple pieces of regulatory legislation
when safety is neglected.
The Electrical Safety Authority's press release may be found
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A
top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm
is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent
and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways.
Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the
communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows
that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully
completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business
challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons'
global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local,
national and global needs of private and public clients of any size
in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general
guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought
about your specific circumstances. Specific Questions relating to
this article should be addressed directly to the author.
To print this article, all you need is to be registered on Mondaq.com.
Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.
Unfortunately, reasonable accommodation for employees in the workplace continues to be the source of significant litigation and even today we continue to see outrageous examples of employers behaving badly.
A former teacher at Bodwell High School has learned a valuable lesson from the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal— it is not discriminatory for an employer to offer child-related benefits to only employees with children.
We are now beginning to see reported cases involving charges and subsequent fines laid against employers for failing to provide information, instruction and supervision to protect a worker from workplace violence.
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).