Canada: Navigating The Potential Pitfalls Of U.S. Property Ownership

With the decline in the real estate market in the United States following the 2008 financial crisis, many Canadian residents have taken advantage of investing in U.S. real estate for income generation and/or personal vacation homes. This was especially advantageous for Canadians between 2010 and 2013, when the Canadian dollar was close in value to the U.S. dollar.

Many Canadian resident taxpayers fail to realize that the acquisition of U.S. property may result in income tax and other information reporting requirements in both Canada and the U.S. Further, if the property generates rental income, that income may be determined and treated differently in Canada and the U.S.


Canadian capital cost allowance vs. U.S. depreciation

Since the purchase of capital property (in this case, the land and building of a rental unit) may not be "written off" in the year it is purchased, the cost must be capitalized and depreciated over time. The method and rate of depreciation differ between the two countries such that significantly different results may be reached both on an annual basis and when the property is sold.

In Canada, a rental loss is often fully deductible, whereas in many cases a rental loss realized in the U.S. will not be deductible against other sources of income. The inability to claim these rental losses in the U.S. when incurred is partially mitigated by having these suspended losses applied against any gain realized on the sale of the property.

Additionally, tax depreciation in Canada is discretionary and may not be used to create or increase a rental loss, whereas depreciation is mandatory in the U.S and, if not claimed, it will be deemed to have been claimed. This treatment results in a reduction of the cost of the property for U.S. tax purposes without a corresponding deduction for the depreciation claimed. When the property is sold, the gain recognized will be higher due to the depreciation claims without a corresponding increase in the suspended losses to apply against it.

Limitation on certain expenses

While most deductible rental expenses are claimable on both Canadian and U.S. tax returns, certain expenditures are subject to different rules in the U.S.

Repairs and maintenance

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued guidance, known as the tangible property regulations (effective January 1, 2014), to clarify whether certain materials, supplies and repairs and maintenance were deductible or whether capitalization was necessary. Under these regulations, items that would be eligible to be expensed in Canada might be required to be capitalized in the U.S. unless the taxpayer is eligible for certain exceptions, two of the most common being those for small expenditures and small taxpayers.

There are additional exceptions and other determinations for capitalization that should be discussed with your Collins Barrow advisor.

Mortgage interest and property taxes

If your [D1] U.S. rental property is also a vacation home (defined as a property that is used personally for the greater of 14 days or 10 per cent of the total days it was rented to others in the tax year), the expenses incurred should be allocated proportionately by dividing the number of days the property was rented by the number of days the property was used (rented and personally).

In contrast, mortgage interest and property taxes are calculated by dividing the number of rental days by the number of days in the year, often resulting in a deductible portion that is less than in Canada.


Information reporting

If you paid a U.S. person at least USD $600 in connection with your U.S. rental property, you may be required to file Form 1099-MISC with the Internal Revenue Service. The form must be filed for each person to whom you have paid at least $600 for services (including parts and materials) in connection with the property. The payments must have been made by payment other than credit card to an unincorporated entity.

For example, suppose you hire a landscaper to mow the lawn of your U.S. rental property, and you pay this self-employed individual in cash more than $600 during the year. You will be required to file Form 1099-MISC to report the amounts paid to the landscaper and you will need to obtain the landscaper's U.S. Social Security Number for reporting purposes.

The due date for filing this form with the IRS for the 2015 tax year is February 29, 2016, or March 31, 2016 if filing electronically. The due date for the filing of these forms in connection with the 2016 taxation year will be January 31, 2017.

In Canada, ownership of revenue-generating property in the U.S. is subject to reporting on form T1135 if your share of the cost of the property (when added to the cost of all other reportable foreign property) is CAD $100,000 or more.

Selling your U.S. real property

With the recent decline in the Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar, many Canadians are selling or thinking of selling their U.S. properties (rental or otherwise). The U.S. dollar proceeds, when converted to Canadian funds, may be higher due to changes in the foreign exchange rate, even though they may be selling for less in U.S. dollars.

For example, suppose you purchased U.S. property for $400,000 in 2012 when the average exchange rate was 1.00. Your cost for both Canadian and U.S. purposes is, therefore, $400,000. If the property is sold for USD $350,000 on, say, December 31, 2015, when the exchange rate was 1.384, the Canadian equivalent of the proceeds is $484,400. In the U.S. you realize an economic loss of $50,000 and pay no tax. In Canada, however, you actually have a capital gain of $84,400 with no foreign tax credits to offset the Canadian tax that may be payable.

Further implications for nonresident aliens

Tax filings

If you acquire a property in the U.S. as a nonresident alien and the property is used to generate rental income, you will likely be required to file a U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return (US1040NR), and possibly a state income tax return, to report these rental activities.

Generally, rental income earned in the U.S. will be subject to a 30 per cent withholding based on the gross rents collected unless an election to have the income treated as "effectively connected" with a U.S. trade or business is made. This election should be made with the first income tax return filed, and will permit any income arising to be taxed on a net basis (net of expenses) at graduated rates.

In order to file, you will need to obtain a U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This application often is made with the first federal income tax return filed.

Tax withholdings on disposition

There are also withholding requirements for non-U.S. persons on the disposition of real property under the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA). Unless certain exceptions are met, the Act requires the purchaser to withhold 15 per cent of the proceeds and remit them to the IRS (prior to February 16, 2016, the withholding tax rate was 10 per cent). The withholding may be claimed on your U.S. tax return when you report the disposition.

An application to reduce or eliminate the amount of tax withheld may be made by filing Form 8288-B within certain time constraints. Additionally, many states (e.g. Hawaii) have similar withholding requirements on the disposition of real property. Many of these states have provisions reducing the amount to be withheld, similar to those under FIRPTA.

For more information on FIRPTA, please refer to the Collins Barrow U.S. Tax Alert "U.S. Real Estate Issues," and contact your Collins Barrow advisor.

Long-term stays in the United States

In June 2013, the Senate passed the JOLT (Jobs Originated through Launching Travel) Act of 2013, which essentially permits Canadian retirees to stay in the U.S. for up to 240 days without a travel visa. Previously, the limitation was 182 days.

What does this have to do with taxes?

If you spend more than 182 days in the U.S. in any one year, the U.S. will likely consider you a resident for tax purposes and therefore subject to U.S. income tax on your worldwide income unless relief is granted under the Canada–U.S. Tax Treaty.  State filing requirements may also exist.

This consideration may also result in other U.S. filing obligations, including the requirement to file FinCEN Form 114 "Foreign Bank Account Reporting" (FBAR), which carries a penalty of $10,000 for each account not reported in a timely manner. Generally, no treaty relief is available should these obligations arise.

Additionally, if you are outside your province of residence for an extended period, entitlement to certain provincial health coverages may be affected.

The U.S. determination of residency is not limited to 183 days in the current year. An additional "substantial presence" test may apply should you spend a significant amount of time in the U.S. each year. If you are considered a resident under this test, you may be required to file Form 8840, Closer Connection Exception Statement. Please refer to the Collins Barrow U.S. Tax Alert "Snowbirds and the Closer Connection Exception" for more information on the substantial presence test and Form 8840.

These are just a few of the complexities Canadians face when owning U.S. real property.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

In association with
Related Video
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Register for Access and our Free Biweekly Alert for
This service is completely free. Access 250,000 archived articles from 100+ countries and get a personalised email twice a week covering developments (and yes, our lawyers like to think you’ve read our Disclaimer).
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Topics -- Select your Interests
 Law Performance
 Law Practice
 Media & IT
 Real Estate
 Wealth Mgt
Asia Pacific
European Union
Latin America
Middle East
United States
Worldwide Updates
Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including what sort of information you are interested in, for three primary purposes:
  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, newsletter alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our information providers who provide information free for your use.
  • Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) do not sell or provide your details to third parties other than information providers. The reason we provide our information providers with this information is so that they can measure the response their articles are receiving and provide you with information about their products and services.
    If you do not want us to provide your name and email address you may opt out by clicking here
    If you do not wish to receive any future announcements of products and services offered by Mondaq you may opt out by clicking here

    Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd and as a user you are granted a non-exclusive, revocable license to access the Website under its terms and conditions of use. Your use of the Website constitutes your agreement to the following terms and conditions of use. Mondaq Ltd may terminate your use of the Website if you are in breach of these terms and conditions or if Mondaq Ltd decides to terminate your license of use for whatever reason.

    Use of

    You may use the Website but are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the content and articles available (the Content). You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these terms & conditions or with the prior written consent of Mondaq Ltd. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information about’s content, users or contributors in order to offer them any services or products which compete directly or indirectly with Mondaq Ltd’s services and products.


    Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on this server for any purpose. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available from this server.

    The documents and related graphics published on this server could include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Mondaq Ltd and/or its respective suppliers may make improvements and/or changes in the product(s) and/or the program(s) described herein at any time.


    Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including what sort of information you are interested in, for three primary purposes:

    • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting.
    • To enable features such as password reminder, newsletter alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
    • To produce demographic feedback for our information providers who provide information free for your use.

    Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) do not sell or provide your details to third parties other than information providers. The reason we provide our information providers with this information is so that they can measure the response their articles are receiving and provide you with information about their products and services.

    Information Collection and Use

    We require site users to register with Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to view the free information on the site. We also collect information from our users at several different points on the websites: this is so that we can customise the sites according to individual usage, provide 'session-aware' functionality, and ensure that content is acquired and developed appropriately. This gives us an overall picture of our user profiles, which in turn shows to our Editorial Contributors the type of person they are reaching by posting articles on Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) – meaning more free content for registered users.

    We are only able to provide the material on the Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) site free to site visitors because we can pass on information about the pages that users are viewing and the personal information users provide to us (e.g. email addresses) to reputable contributing firms such as law firms who author those pages. We do not sell or rent information to anyone else other than the authors of those pages, who may change from time to time. Should you wish us not to disclose your details to any of these parties, please tick the box above or tick the box marked "Opt out of Registration Information Disclosure" on the Your Profile page. We and our author organisations may only contact you via email or other means if you allow us to do so. Users can opt out of contact when they register on the site, or send an email to with “no disclosure” in the subject heading

    Mondaq News Alerts

    In order to receive Mondaq News Alerts, users have to complete a separate registration form. This is a personalised service where users choose regions and topics of interest and we send it only to those users who have requested it. Users can stop receiving these Alerts by going to the Mondaq News Alerts page and deselecting all interest areas. In the same way users can amend their personal preferences to add or remove subject areas.


    A cookie is a small text file written to a user’s hard drive that contains an identifying user number. The cookies do not contain any personal information about users. We use the cookie so users do not have to log in every time they use the service and the cookie will automatically expire if you do not visit the Mondaq website (or its affiliate sites) for 12 months. We also use the cookie to personalise a user's experience of the site (for example to show information specific to a user's region). As the Mondaq sites are fully personalised and cookies are essential to its core technology the site will function unpredictably with browsers that do not support cookies - or where cookies are disabled (in these circumstances we advise you to attempt to locate the information you require elsewhere on the web). However if you are concerned about the presence of a Mondaq cookie on your machine you can also choose to expire the cookie immediately (remove it) by selecting the 'Log Off' menu option as the last thing you do when you use the site.

    Some of our business partners may use cookies on our site (for example, advertisers). However, we have no access to or control over these cookies and we are not aware of any at present that do so.

    Log Files

    We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, track movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.


    This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that Mondaq (or its affiliate sites) are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of these third party sites. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.

    Surveys & Contests

    From time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose any information requested. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and delivery address), and demographic information (such as postcode, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the functionality of the site.


    If a user elects to use our referral service for informing a friend about our site, we ask them for the friend’s name and email address. Mondaq stores this information and may contact the friend to invite them to register with Mondaq, but they will not be contacted more than once. The friend may contact Mondaq to request the removal of this information from our database.


    From time to time Mondaq may send you emails promoting Mondaq services including new services. You may opt out of receiving such emails by clicking below.

    *** If you do not wish to receive any future announcements of services offered by Mondaq you may opt out by clicking here .


    This website takes every reasonable precaution to protect our users’ information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected using firewalls and other security technology. If you have any questions about the security at our website, you can send an email to

    Correcting/Updating Personal Information

    If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as postcode), or if a user no longer desires our service, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove that user’s personal data provided to us. This can usually be done at the “Your Profile” page or by sending an email to

    Notification of Changes

    If we decide to change our Terms & Conditions or Privacy Policy, we will post those changes on our site so our users are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. If at any point we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time it was collected, we will notify users by way of an email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. We will use information in accordance with the privacy policy under which the information was collected.

    How to contact Mondaq

    You can contact us with comments or queries at

    If for some reason you believe Mondaq Ltd. has not adhered to these principles, please notify us by e-mail at and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to determine and correct the problem promptly.

    By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions