Law No. 13,169/2015, published on October 7th, 2015, resulting from the conversion of Provisional Measure No. 675/2015, maintained the increased rates of CSLL for legal entities mentioned in the Section 1 of Provisional Measure No. 675/2015, and made, among other things, the following changes in tax federal laws as a result of the inclusion of Sections 2 to 15 as described below:
- Increased the CSLL rate to:
- 20%, between September 1st, 2015, and December 31st, 2018, in case of private insurance or savings companies; banks; securities distributors; foreign exchange and securities brokerage firms; credit, finance and investment companies; real estate credit companies; credit card issuers; leasing companies; and savings and lending associations.
- 17%, between October 1st, 2015, and December 31st, 2018, in case of credit cooperatives.
- 15%, from January 1st, 2019 onwards, for the legal entities mentioned in the items 'i' and 'ii'
- Extended applicable period of the Tax Regime (tax benefits) for Incentive to Modernization and Expansion of Ports Infrastructure (the so-called "REPORTO") until December 31st, 2020;
- Created the maximum deadline of 7 (seven) years for the tax suspension in the concession of drawback special customs regime for the industrialization of vessels;
- Reduced to to 0% the rate of PIS/PASEP and COFINS applicable to active electricity supplied by a distributor to a consumer unit, in the amount corresponding to the sum of the active electricity injected in the distribution system by the same consumer unit with the credits of active electricity originated from the same consumer unit in the same month.
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2015. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.