On August 14, 2015, Rio de Janeiro State Decree No. 45339 was published in the Official Gazette. This Decree contemplates the rules for concession of a special tax treatment applicable to acquisitions of goods for the fixed assets that are necessary for the implementation of offshore naval base projects in Rio de Janeiro.
This program defers the state taxes due in the following transactions:
- Imports of machinery, equipment, parts, pieces and accessories to be included in the taxpayer's fixed assets, provided that they are imported and cleared through customs in Rio de Janeiro's ports or airports;
- acquisition - within the State of Rio de Janeiro - of machinery, equipment, parts, pieces and accessories to be included in its fixed assets; and
- Interstate acquisition of machinery, equipment, parts, pieces and accessories to be included in the fixed asset, in relation to the difference between tax rates (DIFAL).
The relevant purchaser will be liable for paying the deferred taxes. Such deferred taxes should be paid in case of sale or exit of the assets, in which case the tax basis will be the value of the sale.
Taxpayers intending to benefit from this Special Tax Treatment must submit a (duly approved) formal request to the Industrial Development Company of the State of Rio de Janeiro (Companhia de Desenvolvimento Industrial do Estado do Rio de Janeiro).
Finally, a taxpayer will not be granted the special tax treatment in question if:
- it is not in good standing with the tax register of the State of Rio de Janeiro;
- it has debts towards the State Treasury (unless the enforceability of such debts has been suspended);
- it holds interests or has a shareholder that holds interests in a company that has enforceable debts recorded in the state debt register (unless the enforceability of such debts has been suspended) or its state registration has been cancelled or suspended due to a tax irregularity.
- it is not in good standing with, or is in default in, tax installment payment programs of the State of Rio de Janeiro; and
- it has an environmental liability that has not been resolved with the appropriate state agencies.
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2015. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.