On June 15, 2018, Rio de Janeiro State published Law No. 7,988/2018 ("Law 7988"), which provides for the procedures to be adopted by Rio de Janeiro State tax auditors in order to disregard transactions carried out with the purpose of concealing taxable events involving state taxes, or modifying tax liability during tax audits.
According to Article 1 of Law 7988, the tax auditor may disregard such transactions, after commencement of the tax audit, provided that it:
- notifies the taxpayer to provide clarifications and information, within 30 days, about the facts, causes, reasons and circumstances that lead to the transaction that contains evidence of dissimulation;
- after analyzing the clarifications
and information provided, if there is a decision to disregard the
transaction and issue a tax assessment, to:
- discriminate the elements or facts determining that the transactions were performed with the purpose of concealing taxable events involving state taxes, or modifying the tax liability during tax audits.
- describe the transactions to be taxed as a result of the disregard decision, explaining the respective regulatory requirements on the taxable events; and
- indicate the result produced by the taxation of such transactions, with the specification, by tax, of the calculation base, of the tax rate and interest.
Failure to comply with the abovementioned requirements, or the presentation of incomplete information or clarification will lead to the disregard of the transaction that was carried out— a consequence that must be expressly stated in the tax notice.
The right of defense will be exercised in the litigation related to the tax assessment filed in the aforementioned terms.
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2018. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.