LOCATION: In the center of Europe, between Western and Eastern Europe CAPITAL CITY: Vienna, 1,5 million inhabitants PROVINCES: Vienna, Lower Austria, Upper Austria, Salzburg, Tyrol, Vorarlberg, Carinthia, Styria, Burgenland GROSS STATE PRODUCT: 1995: $196 billion POPULATION: 8 million CIVILIAN WORKFORCE: 4 million UNEMPLOYMENT RATE 1996: 4,1% PER CAPITA PERSONAL INCOME: LEADING INDUSTRIES: Automotive, electronics, computer software, biotechnology, specialty chemicals, plastics, foods, machinery, iron and steel, paper and pulp EXPORTS IN 1996: $46 million IMPORTS IN 1996: $56 million
IMPORTANT LOCATION FACTORS
- The proximity to East and West Europe, the Mediterranean and Middle East, providing Austria an excellent advantage with respect to both production and exports;
- Access to European Union preferential trade and currency systems as a result of Austria's accession to the EU;
- The existence of a highly trained, well motivated labor force;
- A long record of good union relations and one of the lowest percentage of worker time lost due to strikes of all OECD countries;
- A strong educational system that can also be used for worker training and retraining;
- Excellent transportation, infrastructure and communications system
- A world reputation for economic and political stability and moderation;
- Low corporate taxes and the recent program of economic policy liberalization;
- A broad variety of investment and export incentives;
- A safe and clean environment as well as a world-famous quality of life.
INCENTIVES - AREAS OF FOCUS
- Research and development
- Environmental protection
- Small and medium-sized businesses
- Export financing
- Combatting long-term unemployment
- Eastern Europe
- Technology transfer
Visit Austrian Business Agency's website at http://www.telecom.at/AustrianBusinessInfo or enter a text search 'Austrian Business Agency' and 'Business Monitor'.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.