New South Wales. Dental Tribunal
An inquiry was conducted by the Dental Tribunal after the News South Wales Health Care Complaints Commissioner (the complainant) made a complaint regarding a previously registered dentist, Arthur Griffard Bosanquet (the respondent).
In 2009 the respondent had been charged and convicted of committing two acts of indecency and one act of assault with the act of indecency. The respondent's name was removed from the Register at the end of 2009.
The complainant alleged that the respondent was not a suitable person to hold registration as a dentist and that he was guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct and professional misconduct with respect to the improper and unethical conduct relating to his three convictions.
The respondent was unrepresented and did not attend the hearing. The Tribunal found that it was in a position where the members could not fully assess the respondent's awareness of the totality of his actions. The Tribunal held that, in its prime role of protecting the public, it needed to make its own assessment with the limited information they had at hand.
The Tribunal upheld the complaints were established and held that if the respondent had still been registered; his registration would have been cancelled. The Tribunal ordered that he be disqualified and that the orders could not be reviewed for a term of three years and six months, that the Dental Board was required to record that had the respondent been registered, his registration would have been cancelled and that he was to pay costs as agreed/assessed.
National Health (Listing of Pharmaceutical Benefits) Amendment Instrument 2012 (No. 7) (No. PB 60 of 2012) - F2012L01683 " PB 60 of 2012 as made
National Health (Price and Special Patient Contribution) Amendment Determination 2012 (No. 5) (No. PB 61 of 2012) - F2012L01682 " PB 61 of 2012 as made
National Health Act 1953 (Cth) - Amendment determination under sections 93 and 93AA - pharmaceutical benefits supplied by medical practitioners and authorised nurse practitioners (No. PB 62 of 2012) - F2012L01681 " PB 62 of 2012 as made
Health Insurance (Telehealth Services) Determination 2012 - F2012L01678 " as made
Australia. Department of Health & Ageing
- 16 August 2012 - Cough and Cold Medicine Alert for Parents - Parents have been alerted to take note of important changes in the latest advice on dispensing cough and cold medicines to their young children.
- 16 August 2012 - Australian Medicare Local Alliance Launched - Australians can look forward to more effective and cohesive primary health care with the launch of a new national body to lead the network of Medicare Locals.
- 15 August 2012 - Important Stage in Broome Hospital Emergency Department Upgrade - Minister for Health, Tanya Plibersek has welcomed the completion of the first stage of an upgrade to Broome Hospital¡¦s Emergency Department ¡V a significant milestone in the project that when completed will lead to people being seen by a doctor more quickly.
- 15 August 2012 - World Leading Plain Packaging Laws Given a Clean Bill of Health - The Federal Government has welcomed the decision of the High Court of Australia to reject the legal challenge by big tobacco against Australia¡¦s world-leading laws on plain packaging of tobacco.
- 13 August 2012 - Final Stage of the John Curtin School of Medical Research Opens - The third and final stage of the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the Australian National University in Canberra was officially opened on 13 August 2012.
- 11 August 2012 - New Youth Mental Health Centres Coming Soon - Young people experiencing early psychosis will soon have access to new world-leading mental health centres.
- 10 August 2012 - Youth to Benefit From New Headspace Sites - 15 new headspace youth mental health services will open across the country to support young people dealing with depression, substance abuse and other mental health issues.
- 10 August 2012 - Dementia Made a National Health Priority Area - Health Ministers met in Sydney on 10 August 2012 and have agreed to designate dementia as the ninth National Health Priority Area.
- 10 August 2012 - Standing Council on Health Communique - Australian Health Ministers met in Sydney on 10 August for a meeting of the Standing Council on Health. The meeting was chaired by Dr Kim Hames, WA Minister for Health.
- 10 August 2012 - Government Committed to Rural Training for Health Professionals - Rural and regional areas will continue to benefit from a commitment by the Federal Government to facilitating training for medical students and specialists in regional Australia.
Private health insurance circular - PHI 55/12 August 2012 Prostheses List
14 August 2012 - Aged care - Consultation on the meaning of "significant refurbishment"
Australia. Private Health Insurance Administration Council
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) & the Boards
16 August 2012 - National Board and AHPRA increase transparency and publish Health Profession Agreement. | Read Article
13 August 2012 - The Chinese Medicine Board has released a new FAQ regarding an extra division of registration for dispenser. | Read Article
10 August 2012 - The Psychology Board of Australia releases its latest Communiqué. | Read Article
10 August 2012 - Membership of the Chiropractic Board of Australia announced. | Read Article
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
Australian Institute of Health & Welfare
15 August 2012 - Insulin pump use in Australia - media release
13 August 2012 - Perinatal National Minimum Data Set compliance evaluation: 2006-2009
Australian National Council on Drugs
Australia. National Health & Medical Research Council
Australia. Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
17 August 2012 - ACCM extracted ratified minutes, Meeting 8, 9 December 2011 - The Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines (ACCM) held its eighth meeting on 9 December 2011.
16 August 2012 - MMC Maxman IV Erection Enhancer capsules - MMC Maxman IV Erection Enhancer capsules pose a serious risk to your health and should not be taken.
16 August 2012 - Cough and cold medicine alert for parents - Parents have been alerted to take note of important changes in the latest advice on dispensing cough and cold medicines to their young children.
16 August 2012 - L-Gel Ultrasound Transmission Gel recall - All lots of L-Gel Ultrasound Transmission Gel manufactured between June 2011 and May 2012 by Shanghai Shenfeng, China are being recalled.
16 August 2012 - Enquiries handling - pilot project - The TGA has begun a pilot project to investigate how it can more effectively respond to phone calls and email enquiries.
15 August 2012 - The use of rapid tests for HIV in Australia - Background to the status of rapid tests for HIV in Australia.
15 August 2012 - Children's cough and cold medicines - TGA advice - Advice from the TGA on the use of cough and cold medicines in children.
15 August 2012 - OTC cough and cold medicines for children - Final outcomes of TGA review - Outcomes of a review carried out by the TGA into the safety and efficacy of registered over-the-counter (cough and cold medicines for children aged 2-12 years.
14 August 2012 - Australian Public Assessment Reports for prescription medicines (AusPARs) - Added 1 AusPAR
14 August 2012 - Invitation for public comment - ACMS and ACCS meetings, October 2012 - Notice inviting public submissions under Regulations 42ZCZK of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990. Closing date: 12 September 2012.
14 August 2012 - Low value turnover application forms - Updated forms for 2012-13 financial year.
Australian Capital Territory. Health Directorate
- 15 August 2012 - Blood borne virus strategy for AMC - Katy Gallagher, MLA
- 12 August 2012 - Helicopter medics accredited to share skills - Katy Gallagher, MLA
- 11 August 2012 - ACT above national average in childhood immunisation - Katy Gallagher, MLA
Blood Bourne Virus Strategy For Alexander Maconochie Centre - The Strategic Framework for the Management of Blood Borne Viruses in the Alexander Maconochie Centre 2012-2014 (the Framework) has been developed to promote transparency and accountability in the management of blood borne virus infections. Blood Bourne Virus Strategy For AMC (PDF File 219k).
New South Wales. Ministry of Health
- 15 August 2012 - NSW Government Passes Anti-Smoking Legislation
- 10 August 2012 - Busy Night in Emergency Not Due to Lack of Funds
- 16 August 2012 - Notifiable Conditions Data Security and Confidentiality - PD2012_047
- 10 August 2012 - Remuneration Rates for non-specialist medical staff - short term/casual (locum) - PD2012_046
Queensland. Department of Health
- 14 August 2012 - Hospital Data Shows Challenge in Emergency Medicine
- 14 August 2012 - - Health Minister opens Renal Unit Upgrade - Hervey Bay
- 14 August 2012 - Health Minister opens Renal Services Upgrade - Bundaberg
Queensland Health is concerned people who have been bitten or scratched by a bat in Australia are not aware of their risk for contracting Australian bat lyssavirus. People bitten or scratched by a bat require post-exposure vaccination, regardless of when this occurred or if they were vaccinated prior to being bitten or scratched and should contact their local public health unit.
South Australia. Department of Health
- 12 August 2012 - Walk yourself happy
Tasmania. Department of Health & Human Services
- 15 August 2012 - A Big Win over Big Tobacco
- 15 August 2012 - Time to come around to concussion awareness
- 13 August 2012 - Cancer Screening and Control Services Tasmania want your input - can you help?
- 10 August 2012 - Check cupboards for banned goods
- 10 August 2012 - Mental Health Week grant funding announced
Victoria. Department of Health
- 15 August 2012 - Community board for Mildura Hospital - A panel of six prominent local residents have been appointed to provide community input to the Mildura Base Hospital, Minister for Health David Davis announced today.
- 12 August 2012 - Zoroastrian seniors in Melbourne¡¦s East and South East win new social support grant - The Zoroastrian Association of Victoria will receive a Victorian Coalition Government grant to help isolated culturally diverse seniors in Melbourne's east and south east get involved in their local communities.
Public dental fees policy - effective 1 August 2012
Health Victoria newsletter - August 2012
Western Australia. Department of Health
- 17 August 2012 - Minister for Science and Innovation: Funds boost for crucial health research network
- 15 August 2012 - Minister for Health: Milestone for Broome Hospital ED upgrade
- 13 August 2012 - Minister for Health: Sneak peek inside WA¡¦s newest hospital
14 August 2012 - OD 0386/12 - Health Practitioners - Use of Formal Qualifications and/or Professional Registration and Other Requirements As Essential Selection Criteria - Directive advising of revised formal qualifications and registration/or other requirements to be cited on job definition formats for certain health professions, including those affected by the introduction of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act 2010 (WA).
14 August 2012 - IC 0125/12 - Guidelines for the Release of Data - The Guidelines for the Release of Data have been developed to ensure data is released adequately and meets the needs of the requestor. This is achieved through the proper documentation of the requestor's requirements and the completion of a Data Release Pro-Forma highlighting specific details of the data provided.
13 August 2012 - OD 0385/12 - National Recommendations for User-Applied Labelling of Injectable Medicines, Fluids and Lines - Amendment to 0350/11: To accommodate the time required to organize a tender process for the procurement of the Recommendations for User-Applied Labelling of Injectable Medicines, Fluids and Lines for Western Australia, and provide adequate time to implement the new labels at hospital level, the date hospitals must comply to the recommendations has been extended. Hospitals are required to comply with the national recommendations (including the WA modification identified in this Operational Directive) by 1 November 2012. All WA public hospitals and health care facilities are required to commence implementation of the minimum requirements set out in the National Labelling Recommendations immediately. Local label use based on the recommendations (and WA modification) are to be in place by 1 November 2012.
New Zealand. Ministry of Health
15 August 2012 - Suicide Facts: Deaths and intentional self-harm hospitalisations 2010 - This annual statistical publication presents and summarises suicide information received from the New Zealand Mortality Collection, and admissions to hospital for intentional self-harm sourced from the New Zealand National Minimum Dataset. Read more
United Kingdom. Department of Health
Views sought for review of cosmetic procedures - A major review of cosmetic surgery and procedures is launched today by the Department of Health.
Commitments announced on preventing homelessness - A report setting out Government commitments to preventing homelessness is published today by the Ministerial Working Group on preventing and tackling homelessness.
Consultations launched on sector regulation of health service - Two consultations that will help ensure that patients' interests will be protected throughout the health service are launched today by the Department of Health.
United States of America. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
The Affordable Care Act helps states prevent, fight infectious diseases - Today, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced awards of $48.8 million to bolster epidemiology, laboratory and health information systems in health departments in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the Republic of Palau, the District of Columbia, New York City, Los Angeles County, Chicago, Philadelphia and Houston.
HHS releases new report on efforts to end the tobacco epidemic - The HHS today released a progress report to the tobacco strategic action plan that highlights the accomplishments and strategies of the Obama administration to help tobacco users quit and prevent children from starting to use tobacco products.
HHS awards $68 million in grants for HIV/AIDS care for women, infants, children and youth - HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced the release of more than $68 million to ensure that women, infants, children and youth living with HIV/AIDS receive comprehensive primary HIV medical care and support services.
Australian Medical Association (AMA)
15 August 2012 - Plain Packaging Challenge Runs Out Of Puff - The AMA welcomes today's High Court rejection of Big Tobacco's challenge to the Federal Government's tobacco plain packaging legislation. AMA President, Dr Steve Hambleton hailed the decision as a victory for common sense and public health. Dr Hambleton said that the tobacco industry should accept the court's decision and get to work on adhering to the plain packaging legislation.
15 August 2012 - AMA Calls for Nationally Coordinated Approach to Health in the Criminal Justice System - The AMA today released its new Position Statement on Health and the Criminal Justice System 2012. Speaking at the Justice Health in Australia: Equity in Health Care Symposium in Canberra, AMA Vice President, Professor Geoffrey Dobb said that the AMA is calling for an adequately resourced and nationally coordinated whole-of-government approach to health in the criminal justice system.
15 August 2012 - Health and the Criminal Justice System - 2012 - Prisoners and juvenile detainees in Australia experience profound disadvantages in health compared to the wider community, with markedly elevated rates of mental illness, substance dependence, chronic disease and engagement in health risk behaviours. The prison setting provides a unique opportunity to address these physical and mental health needs. The comprehensive approach needed to maximise this opportunity is reflected in the AMA's updated Position Statement Health and the Criminal Justice System 2012. This statement highlights the linkages between the criminal justice system and public health, and indicates the critical policies and conditions that need to be in place to improve the health of some of the most disadvantaged segments of the Australian community.
14 August 2012 - Submission: AMC discussion paper on primary medical qualifications - The AMA has made a submission to the Australian Medical Council about the likely impact of changes to primary qualifications for admission to practice medicine in Australia on access to, and the quality of, medical education and training for medical students and junior doctors.
14 August 2012 - AMA welcomes new report on Climate Change and Health - AMA President, Dr Steve Hambleton said today that the report, Our Uncashed Dividend: The Health Benefits of Climate, is a welcome addition to the evidence base as governments are urged to make plans to address the health impacts of climate change.
13 August 2012 - Health Ministers on the right track with intern places - The AMA welcomes today's acknowledgement by health ministers of the importance of intern placements and the announcement that they are working to develop additional intern placements in private and other settings.
British Medical Association (BMA)
16 August 2012 - BMA backs refusal of right-to-die case
15 August 2012 - BMA says revalidation loose ends need to be addressed
15 August 2012 - Taking charge: BMA launches committee for medical managers
14 August 2012 - Doctors must have say on demographic challenges
14 August 2012 - Doctors urge ministers to implement tobacco packaging reforms
13 August 2012 - Admissions reductions depend on improved community care
13 August 2012 - BMA council deputy chair candidates announced
13 August 2012 - Transplant body seeks donor views
10 August 2012 - GPs insist community resources are key to cutting beds
Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
16 August 2012 - Yellowknife meeting tweets to prominence
16 August 2012 - In pursuing change, MDs must "rise above fear," new president says
16 August 2012 - CMA to tackle end-of-life issues
15 August 2012 - Role of feds in health care leads to unprecedented CMA debate
15 August 2012 - Outgoing CMA president sets long-term vision for future
15 August 2012 - CMA delegates unite behind Ontario colleagues
13 August 2012 - Patients' problems major focus at CMA's Members' Forum
13 August 2012 - CMF fundraising a success
13 August 2012 - CMA delegates make strong commitment to health equity
13 August 2012 - MDs' role in addressing health equity reinforced
13 August 2012 - "Desperation leads to innovation" in Canada's North, MDs told
13 August 2012 - CMA poll finds "worrisome" gap in income-related health status
© DLA Piper
This publication is intended as a general overview and discussion of the subjects dealt with. It is not intended to be, and should not used as, a substitute for taking legal advice in any specific situation. DLA Piper Australia will accept no responsibility for any actions taken or not taken on the basis of this publication.
DLA Piper Australia is part of DLA Piper, a global law firm, operating through various separate and distinct legal entities. For further information, please refer to www.dlapiper.com