16 May 2011
Welcome to this week's edition of Health Alert. The Health Alert is transmitted on Monday of each week (unless there is a public holiday on Monday).
Health Alert is a summary of the critical judgments, legislation, press releases and news items which have come to our attention each week. Many of the summaries will contain a hyperlink.
If an item is of special interest, we may insert commentary into the body of Health Alert. However in general, Health Alert is a quick and effective means of ensuring that you are aware of significant recent changes with little or no commentary from us.
If you would like to include a colleague or contact on our distribution list, or be removed from the list and not receive further issues from us, please contact Legal Updates at firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant contact details.
The DLA Piper Health Team
New South Wales
HEALTH SERVICES AMENDMENT (LOCAL HEALTH DISTRICTS AND BOARDS) BILL 2011 - Legislative Assembly 5/5/2011
Australia. Department of Health & Ageing
- 11 May 2011- Way Cleared for Improved Access to Generic Medicines-Australian consumers and health professionals will have more ready access to generic medicines following the passage of legislation through the Senate today.
- 10 May 2011- Improved Health Services for Australians-Patients across Australia will be able to access better health services closer to home under a $3 billion investment in health reform announced in the 2011-12 Budget.
- 10 May 2011- Better Access to MRI Tests and Increase to Cancer Services-Patients will have access to more affordable Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) services closer to home under a $104.4 million Diagnostic Imaging Review Reform Package.
- 10 May 2011- Delivering National Mental Health Reform-Australians with a mental illness will get the care they need, when they need it, under a $2.2 billion over 5 years reform package for mental health services.
- 10 May 2011- Gillard Government Delivers $1.8 Billion to Improve Health Services in Regional and Rural Communities-Regional Australians will receive better local health services through a $1.8 billion investment in regional health infrastructure.
- 10 May 2011- Investing to Close the Gap-The Gillard Government is delivering on their commitment to close the gap in Indigenous disadvantage with a $526.6 million boost to education, employment and health services for Indigenous Australians.
- 10 May 2011- New Panel to Advise on Public Hospital Access Targets-A Gillard Government commitment that people will receive the highest standards of service in their public hospitals was confirmed today with the announcement of an expert panel that will oversee how this reform is achieved.
- 10 May 2011- 88 New Beds for Expanded Hervey Bay Health Services-Hervey Bay residents will see St Stephen's Hospital dramatically expand from an eight bed hospital to a 96 bed hospital thanks to a $47.1 million investment by the Gillard Government to be announced in the 2011-12 Budget.
- 09 May 2011- Better Diabetes Care, Closer to Home for Regional West Australians-Residents in regional and remote Western Australia suffering from renal failure, often caused by diabetes, will be offered a helping hand thanks to 22 new renal dialysis chairs and other important health infrastructure projects to be funded through the Gillard Government's 2011-12 Budget.
- 09 May 2011- Major New Hospital for South East NSW -NSW South Coast residents will benefit from national health reform with today's announcement that the Gillard Government will fund $160.1 million for the new South East Regional Hospital based in Bega.
- 06 May 2011- Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council Communiqué-Australian and New Zealand ministers responsible for the regulation of food and beverages met in Canberra today and decided on further actions to address the ongoing health concerns associated with formulated caffeinated energy drinks.
- 06 May 2011- Government Commits to Cancer Care Service in Geelong-$26.07 million has been committed by the Australian Government towards an integrated Cancer Care Service that would benefit the residents of Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula.
- 06 May 2011- New Youth Health Hub for Colac-Young people and families in Colac will benefit from a new Youth Health Hub, with a $1.2 million investment by the Australian Government to reform and modernise local hospital and health facilities.
Administrative Review of the National Blood Arrangements (2009) - The 2009 Review is an administrative review, focusing on governance issues and implementation of the 2003 National Blood Agreement (the Agreement). It is not a review of clinical issues or consumer perspectives.
Private Health Insurance Circulars
- PHI 34/11 - Hospital Casemix Protocol (HCP) Annual Report
- PHI 33/11 - Private Health Insurance (Complying Product) Amendment Rules 2011 (No. 3)
- PHI 32/11 - Lifetime Health Cover Direct Mailout - Amendments
Australia. National Health & Medical Research Council
Relocation of NHMRC National Institute of Clinical Studies 12 May 2011 - The National Institute of Clinical Studies (NICS) be moving tomorrow, Friday 13 May. NICS will remain in its current building but will consolidate into a single office on the 1st floor of the Fawkner Centre at 499 St Kilda Road in Melbourne. Read full notice
Building Research Translation 12 May 2011 - Senior clinical researchers involved in research translation met recently to discuss a NHMRC proposal for a National Network of NHMRC-funded clinical researchers and centres. A Communiqué and Papers presented at the workshop are now available. Read full notice
CEO Update: Outcomes of the 2011-12 Budget for the NHMRC -10 May 2011 - a brief overview of the outcomes from the Federal Budget of 10 May 2011. These outcomes affect the range of activities undertaken by NHMRC, across its research funding, evidence translation and health advice functions. Read full notice
A Guide to Direct Research Costs 9 May 2011 - NHMRC has developed a guide for researchers and administrative staff on what constitutes Direct Costs of Research. This guide was approved by Research Committee in December 2010. Further information
Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Institute of Health Services and Policy Research call for grant applications 9 May 2011 - Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (CIHR-IHSPR) and the Office for Patient-Oriented Research are planning to call for grant applications in October 2011 on Community-Based Primary Healthcare (CBPH). - Further information (DOC, 24KB)
Australia. Therapeutic Goods Administration
12 May 2011 - Regulatory and Technical Consultative Forum for medical devices (RegTech Forum) - The RegTech Forum is established as a consultative forum to facilitate consultation between the TGA and the medical devices industry
11 May 2011 - Streamlined submission process for prescription medicines - Added information about workshops being held in Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney in June
11 May 2011 - Way cleared for improved access to generic medicines - Media release from the Hon Catherine King MP
6 May 2011 - The TGA's risk management approach - Describes the broad risk management approach adopted by the TGA
Australian Institute of Health & Welfare
Australia. Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
Quarterly Bulletin 58 - The bulletin for 1 January to 31 March 2011 is now online.
Australia. Private Health Insurance Administration Council
04 May 11-Reappointment of Council Members-CURRENT EDITION-11/08
Australia. Medical Board of Australia
Australia. Psychology Board of Australia
Renewal period now open for NSW & WA psychologists - 09 May 2011
Australia. Nursing & Midwifery Board of Australia
Board congratulates professions on job well done - 12 May 2011
Two thirds of nurses and midwives due to renew reg... - 04 May 2011
Australia. Optometry Board of Australia
Expressions of Interest Board Nominee for OCANZ - 10 May 2011
Communique from the Board - 10 May 2011
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
Australian Capital Territory. Department of Health
- Minister says 'Thank You' to volunteers-Katy Gallagher, MLA-May 12 2011
- Minister presents Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards-Katy Gallagher, MLA-May 11 2011
- Minister pays tribute to women on Mother's Day-Katy Gallagher, MLA-May 8 2011
- Launch of community space for ACT's trans and intersex community-Katy Gallagher, MLA-May 6 2011
- Health Minister launches into Healthy Heart Challenge-Katy Gallagher, MLA-May 6 2011
New South Wales. Department of Health
- Legionnaires' disease health warning [09 May 2011]
- Local Health District Legislation Passed [12 May 2011]
- Honouring our nurses [12 May 2011]
- NSW must not suffer under private health insurance rebate cuts [11 May 2011]
- Hard work by NSW prevents medical research funding cuts [11 May 2011]
- Budget: NSW Government forces over half a billion dollars for regional hospital upgrades [11 May 2011]
- Bega Hospital Redevelopment [09 May 2011]
Policy directives & guidelines
- Capital Projects - Economic Appraisal-GL2011_006-12/05/2011
- EnableNSW - Assistive Technology for Communication, Mobility, Respiratory Function & Self-Care-PD2011_027-12/05/2011
- Hairdressers Employed in the NSW Health System-IB2011_021-12/05/2011
- Junior Medical Officer - Recruitment Campaign-IB2011_020-12/05/2011
Queensland. Department of Health
- 11/05/2011- Queensland leads fight against 'hidden' diabetes
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Queensland parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Townsville parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Sunshine Coast parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Ipswich parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Gold Coast parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Gladstone parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Cairns parents give their child a flying start to life
- 08/05/2011- Midwives helping more new Bundaberg parents give their child a flying start to life
Northern Territory. Department of Health
- Kon Vatskalis - Celebrating International Nurses Day - Health Minister Kon Vatskalis today paid tribute to the Territory's nurses on International Nurses Day, reinforcing the NT Labor Government's continued commitment to health.
South Australia. Department of Health
Emergency departments are for emergencies - During the winter months, South Australian metropolitan emergency departments experience an increase in demand for their services. For this reason, South Australians are encouraged to remember that emergency departments are for emergencies. If you or someone you know is not feeling well, call healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222 or make an appointment with your local general practitioner (GP) for non-urgent medical assistance during the busy winter period. However if the situation is urgent or life threatening, you should call 000 immediately or go directly to an emergency department for assistance. Emergency department television video clip (MOV 3.94MB) - Emergency department television video clip (MPG 5.96MB) - Video clip transcript
- Mount Gambier Hospital prepares for growth - Thursday, 12 May 2011 - Health Minister John Hill says the successful bid for Federal funds for Mount Gambier Hospital will result in a bigger, better hospital offering more services to more people in the South East. Read more...
- Federal funding boost for SA country hospitals - Monday, 09 May 2011 - Health Minister John Hill has welcomed the Commonwealth Government's investment of an additional $82 million for country health and hospitals in South Australia. Read more...
- SA Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards night - Saturday, 07 May 2011 - More than twenty nurses and midwives were honoured last night at the 2011 Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards. Read more...
Victoria. Department of Health
Victorian Health Priorities Framework 2012-2022: Metropolitan Health Plan - The Victorian Health Priorities Framework 2012-2022: Metropolitan Health Plan (the Health Plan) articulates the long-term planning and development priorities for Victoria's health services throughout the next decade. The Health Plan focuses on Melbourne's health system and is supported by a companion document, the Metropolitan Health Plan – Technical Paper. Together, these two documents detail the priorities, directions and implementation actions that will transform Melbourne's health system. The Metropolitan Health Plan is only the first step of this state wide approach. The Rural and Regional Health Plan 2012-2022 will be released later this year. It will provide a comprehensive plan for the state wide development of Victoria's rural and regional services. The Health Capital and Resources Plan 2012-2022, also to be release later this year, will articulate a detailed plan for infrastructure and assets, workforce, ICT and health and medical research. - Victorian Health Priorities Framework 2012-2022: Metropolitan Health Plan - Metropolitan Health Plan Technical Paper
Aboriginal Health e-bulletin - 11 May 2011
- Honouring Victoria's dedicated nurses and midwives - Thursday, 12 May 2011 - Health - Minister for Health David Davis today paid tribute to the more than 90,000 nurses and midwives who work or have worked in health services and aged care facilities in Victoria. To mark International Nurses Day and the International Day of the Midwife, Mr. Davis visited St Vincent's Hospital where he shared breakfast with nurses and thanked them for their ongoing care and professionalism.
- Increasing awareness of incontinence in Victoria's ethnic communities - Thursday, 12 May 2011 - Health, Ageing - Victoria's vast ethnic communities will receive new resources to help them better understand the causes and treatments of incontinence as they age. Minister for Health and Ageing David Davis today officially launched the Awareness of Incontinence in Ethnic Communities Report in Preston.
- Ballarat helipad implementation meeting - Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - Health - The Ballarat helipad implementation group had its first meeting this morning in Ballarat. The group is chaired by Western Victoria MP David Koch, and Western Victoria MP Simon Ramsay is also a member.
Tasmania. Department of Health & Human Services
- West Coast Health Praised for Fire Response -11 May 2011
- Federal Budget Delivers Good News for Mental Health-10 May 2011
- Fourth Palliative Care Bed Delivered -10 May 2011
Western Australia. Department of Health
- 12 May 2011 - Fellowships awarded to three WA nurses and midwives
- 9 May 2011 - Breakfast honours long serving nurses
New maternity support unit for Aboriginal mothers and babies
New Zealand. Ministry of Health
Nursing: A truly 21st century profession - 12 May 2011 - "Nursing is consistently one of New Zealand's most trusted professions, but many people don't fully realise how complex and diverse the work done by modern nurses is." That comment from Andrew Bridgman - the Acting Director General of Health comes on International Nurses Day, which is marked around the world each year on Florence Nightingale's birthday – May 12. Read more
Big jump in Pacific Health Workforce Awards continues - 6 May 2011 - The big jump in numbers of Pacific scholarships awarded to students studying for health qualifications continues this year. More than 200 scholarships have been awarded this year with 120 awards handed out to those recipients able to attend in person the ceremony in Auckland today. That's slightly up on the number of scholarships awarded last year. Ministry of Health Clinical Director Pacific Health Dr Api Talemaitoga says the number of scholarships awarded is a great boost for the country's Pacific workforce. Read more
United Kingdom. Department of Health
United States. Department of Health & Human Services
New Viral Hepatitis Action Plan - HHS' new action plan to prevent and treat viral hepatitis outlines comprehensive actions to raise awareness; and creates more opportunities to train health professionals to diagnose, treat, vaccinate, and ultimately save lives. The plan builds upon the Affordable Care Act to improve patient access to comprehensive viral hepatitis-related prevention and treatment services through expanded coverage. Learn more.
United States. Centres for Disease Control
Statement by CDC Director Thomas R. Frieden, M.D., M.P.H., on Early End of HPTN 052 Study - CDC welcomes the report today from NIH that early HIV treatment can dramatically reduce the risk that an HIV-positive person will transmit the virus to their heterosexual partner. The study, known as HPTN 052, showed that early initiation of anti-retroviral therapy (ART) for HIV-positive people who were heterosexual led to a dramatic reduction in HIV transmission to the HIV-uninfected partner. (Published: 5/12/2011)
Australian Medical Association
Launch of AMA
Indigenous Health Report Card 2010-11 - 12 May 2011 -
Best Practice in Primary Health Care for Aboriginal Peoples and
Torres Strait Islanders Treasury Place, Melbourne
2.30pm, Friday 13 May 2011 read more
Budget makes it more expensive for people to see their family doctor for mental health care - AMA President, Dr Andrew Pesce, said tonight that people will now have to pay more to see their family doctor for vital mental health care, advice, and referrals. Dr Pesce said that the Government has dramatically devalued the role of the family doctor in managing community mental health by slashing the MBS patient rebate for GP Mental Health Plans to help fund its belated catch-up mental health package.
© DLA Phillips Fox
DLA Phillips Fox is one of the largest legal firms in Australasia and a member of DLA Piper Group, an alliance of independent legal practices. It is a separate and distinct legal entity. For more information visit www.dlaphillipsfox.com
This publication is intended as a first point of reference and should not be relied on as a substitute for professional advice. Specialist legal advice should always be sought in relation to any particular circumstances.