Hong Kong: FAQs On Corporate Immigration - Hong Kong

Last Updated: 23 May 2014
Article by Christopher Hooley and Victor Ng

As a Hong Kong Corporate Law Firm, OLN is frequently asked to assist international corporations and their employees on moves to Hong Kong.

Below are some of the typical concerns faced by companies and their employees when moving to Hong Kong.

When do I need a visa?

Q1: Do I need a visa to enter Hong Kong for study, employment, training, investment or residence?

A1: Generally speaking, anyone other than a person having the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong, must obtain a visa before coming to and entering into Hong Kong. This applies where the purpose of being in Hong Kong is study, taking up employment, training, investment or residence.

Q2: If I only have a visitor visa, can I still visit clients and business contacts in Hong Kong?

A2: Visiting customers, attending meetings, concluding contracts and similar business conduct is generally permitted under a visitor visa.

However, any productive employment or training, whether paid or unpaid, for example, handling installation or posts-sales services is prohibited. In such cases, an employment visa is needed before entering Hong Kong as factually this will be regarded as working in Hong Kong.


Q3: How does an applicant apply for an employment visa in Hong Kong?

A3: The first issue is whether the applicant can apply for entry into Hong Kong as a professional. A "Professional" is generally taken by the Immigration Department to mean the following:-

  • An Applicant who has obtained a degree or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited programme in Hong Kong may apply to stay/return and work in Hong Kong under the "Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates" ("IANG");
  • An Applicant who is not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work under the General Employment Policy ("GEP");
  • Chinese residents of the Mainland who are not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work under the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals ("ASMTP"); and
  • The IANG, GEP and ASMTP are all quota-free and non-sector specific. Apart from professionals in the commercial and financial fields, they are also applicable to talent and professionals in the arts, culture and sport sectors as well as those in the culinary profession with a view to enhancing Hong Kong's status as an Asian world city.

Q4: What other eligibility criteria are there when completing an employment visa application?

A4: The Immigration Department will need positive information that:-

  • The business, through which the applicant proposes to be employed in Hong Kong, will benefit the economy of Hong Kong.
  • The employment of the applicant in Hong Kong is essential to the employer's Hong Kong business?
  • The position cannot be filled by a local Hong Kong resident.

Q5: Are there any exceptions to the above rule?

A5: No. Any non Hong Kong permanent residents, who wish to work in Hong Kong, whether paid or unpaid, for any duration of time, must first secure an employment visa before taking up employment in Hong Kong. Failure to obtain an employment visa before commencing work in Hong Kong is an offence punishable by fines, imprisonment and deportation.

Q6: A US based company intends to relocate staff to Hong Kong to oversee business operations and take care of the clients in the Asia Pacific region, but the US company does not have any business entity registered in Hong Kong. Can the US company still be the Sponsor Company for an employment visa?

A6: No. All employment visa applications must be sponsored by a Hong Kong registered entity. As such, the US based company would have to incorporate a Hong Kong company, register a branch in Hong Kong or register a representative office in Hong Kong, so as to support any employment visa application.


Q7: I consider Hong Kong an ideal platform for doing business in Asia, so I want to Hong Kong to set up business in Hong Kong. Which visa do I need?

A7: You would need to apply for an investment visa, where you will need to prove that you:-

  • Have a successful track record in business area in which you intend to do business;
  • Are making a substantial investment in and to the economy of Hong Kong; and
  • Propose to invest in and carry on a business beneficial to Hong Kong's economy through, for example, the rental or purchase of premises, the employment of local staff and the payment of taxes in Hong Kong.

Q8: I understand that there are other means of obtaining permission from the Immigration Department to work in Hong Kong. What other available scheme are there for such access to Hong Kong?

A8: You can apply to gain access to and then work in Hong Kong under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme ("CIES").

Q9: What are the eligibility criteria under the CIES?

A9: Under the CIES, qualifying applicants are granted residence in Hong Kong if they make a capital investment of at least HK$10 million under their legal and beneficial control in certain classes of permissible asset. Individuals under this visa scheme are not required to be employed in Hong Kong although they are free to do so if needed.
In addition, the applicants must satisfy the Immigration Department that there is no adverse record detrimental to them either in Hong Kong or their country of origin and are able to demonstrate that they can support their living in Hong Kong, without relying on any return on the permissible investment assets, employment or public assistance in Hong Kong.


Q10: I am to apply for an employment visa for my secondment from the UK to Hong Kong, can I also apply for visas for my family members, so that they move to Hong Kong and live with me during my secondment?

A10: Yes. Persons admitted into Hong Kong to take up employment may sponsor their spouses and unmarried dependant children under the age of 18 for residence in Hong Kong as dependants. However, an unmarried partner is not entitled to apply for a dependant visa. Also, same-sex spouses may not be considered dependants by the Immigration Department because same-sex spouses are not recognised in Hong Kong.

Q11: Can dependants admitted under the dependant visa policy take up employment in Hong Kong?

A11: Dependants of persons who have been admitted for employment or of entrants under the CIES can take up employment in Hong Kong.

Other Points to note

Q12: What should I do when my employment visa application is approved?

A12: You have to collect a visa label upon a payment of a fee. Once the visa label has been collected, it must be affixed into your passport before you arrive in Hong Kong whereupon it will be activated by the immigration officer at the place of entry. If you are in Hong Kong at the time the visa is issued, you must leave and re-enter Hong Kong with the visa label affixed to your passport.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on Mondaq.com.

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Some comments from our readers…
“The articles are extremely timely and highly applicable”
“I often find critical information not available elsewhere”
“As in-house counsel, Mondaq’s service is of great value”

Practice Guides
by Mondaq Advice Centres
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Related Topics
Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Related Articles
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Mondaq Free Registration
Gain access to Mondaq global archive of over 375,000 articles covering 200 countries with a personalised News Alert and automatic login on this device.
Mondaq News Alert (some suggested topics and region)
Select Topics
Registration (please scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions

Mondaq.com (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of www.mondaq.com

To Use Mondaq.com you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions