Canada: The GST/HST Self-Supply Rules For Builders Of Residential Homes, Condominiums, And Apartment Buildings – A Canadian Tax Lawyer’s Analysis

Last Updated: October 2 2018

Introduction – The GST/HST Self-Supply Rules

Residential builders sometimes face unexpected GST/HST liability due to the self-supply rules in Canada's Excise Tax Act. In effect, the self-supply rules deem a builder to have sold to itself a residential property at fair market value if the builder constructed or substantially renovated that property and then either rented it out or personally occupied it.

These rules aim to level the field between builders, who could otherwise construct or renovate a rental or personal-use property without incurring GST/HST for the value added to the property, and non-builders, who would need to purchase the completed property from a builder and thereby pay GST/HST to achieve the same result.

As this rationale suggests, the self-supply rules aren't aimed at those who built or renovated a residential property for a non-business purpose. Builders by trade would enjoy the tax advantage because the GST/HST system disregards the commercial supplier while taxing the ultimate consumer. Registered builders, for instance, recoup the GST/HST they paid for business expenses by claiming input tax credits (ITCs). Consequently, the self-supply rules don't apply to property owners who either do not or cannot claim ITCs. Moreover, the self-supply rules only apply to a "builder." The Excise Tax Act essentially defines a builder as a person who builds or renovates a property (or engages another to build or renovate a property) in which the person has an interest. But a builder excludes those who don't act as such in the course of a business or an adventure in the nature of trade.

The Excise Tax Act offers three major exceptions to the self-supply rules: (1) the personal-residence exception; (2) the student-residence exception; and (3) the communal-organizations exception. The Act also provides an election for employee or contractor housing at a remote work site.

This article provides an overview of the self-supply rules, the three exceptions, and the remote-work-site election.

Subsection 191(1): Taxable Self-Supply Upon Occupancy or Lease of a Constructed or Substantially Renovated Residential Property

The basic self-supply rules apply when a builder either personally occupies or rents out a residential property—i.e., a residential home, condo unit, or apartment building—after having built or substantially renovated that property. If either rule applies, the builder is deemed to have sold and repurchased the property at its fair market value. The builder must therefore include the GST/HST payable on the fair market value of the built or renovated property when computing his or her net tax payable.

The self-supply-by-way-of-lease rule applies when a builder leases or licences the built or renovated property for use as an individual's place of residence. As a result, the builder must account for the GST/HST payable on the property's fair market value. If the property happens to be an entire apartment building, the builder must account for the GST/HST payable when the first unit is rented out.

The self-supply-by-way-of-personal-residence rule applies when a builder occupies the built or renovated property for use as his or her own personal residence. Again, once the rule is triggered, the builder must account for the GST/HST payable on the property's fair market value. (This rule may not apply, however, if the builder didn't claim input tax credits for purchasing, building, or renovating the property. The personal-residence exception is discussed in more detail below.)

Recall, the self-supply rules only apply to a builder, which excludes those who renovate or construct a property for a non-business purpose. So, if you hire a builder to substantially renovate your personal residence, neither the self-supply rules nor the self-supply exceptions are relevant to you. The same is true if you purchase a newly built home as your personal residence. You'll pay GST/HST upon purchase in the same way as other consumer purchases. (You may be able to claim a GST/HST New Housing Rebate for a new-home purchase or a substantial renovation.)

Subsection 191(5): The Personal-Residence Exception

As discussed above, the self-supply rules aim to level the playing field between builders, who could otherwise claim ITCs when constructing a personal or rental property and thereby enjoy a tax advantage, and non-builders, who would need to pay GST/HST when purchasing such a property from a builder.

Of course, the builder doesn't enjoy this tax advantage if he or she hasn't claimed input tax credits for the construction. These cases don't fit the rationale underlying the self-supply rules. Indeed, the common feature among the self-supply exceptions is that they apply where the property's owner either did not or could not claim ITCs.

Subsection 191(5) of the Excise Tax Act ousts the self-supply rules if the builder used the built or renovated property primarily as his or her place of residence after completing construction. The personal-residence exception also applies if the builder's spouse, former spouse, or relative used the property as a place of residence after the builder completed construction.

But the personal-residence exception doesn't apply if either:

  1. the builder is a corporation;
  2. the builder claimed input tax credits for acquiring or improving the property; or
  3. after its construction or renovation, the built or renovated property was used primarily for purpose other than as the place of residence of the builder or the builder's spouse, former spouse, or relative.

So, if the builder is a corporation, the builder claimed ITCs, or the property was used primarily for purpose other than the builder's (or qualifying relative's) residence, the self-supply rule remains in effect. The builder must therefore account for the GST/HST payable on the fair market value of the property.

But the builder need not reside in the property without any intention of selling it later. The personal-residence exception in subsection 191(5) doesn't require that the home be used as a permanent residence, a primary residence, or a principal residence. Instead, the provision asks that the home be used primarily as a place of residence for the individual builder. "This means that an individual can benefit from the exception even if he has the secondary intention, at the time of its construction, of reselling the property, provided he actually uses it as a place of residence after the construction is completed" (Coates v the Queen, 2011 TCC 74, at para 15).

Recall, both the self-supply rule in subsection 191(1) and the exception in subsection 191(5) apply only to builders. And a person is a builder only if that person's activity constitutes a business or adventure in the nature of trade. As a result, subsection 191(1) and subsection 191(5) both take it as a given that the builder built or renovated the property with a business purpose—such as selling it for a profit. As a result, subsection 191(5) "involves a simple factual determination" of whether the home was "actually... used first by the individual (who is a builder as defined) as a place of residence" (Coates, ibid, at para 14).

To illustrate, in Coates, supra, an individual still met the self-supply exception in subsection 191(5) even though he built and sold a home in the course of an adventure in the nature of trade. So, although the individual intended to resell the home for a profit, he qualified for the exemption under subsection 191(5) because he lived in that home for over a year once he completed construction. In rendering its decision, the Tax Court of Canada explained that the test of whether a home was used primarily as a place of residence was distinct from the test of whether an individual renovated a home with the intention of reselling at a profit (Coates, ibid, at paras 8, 13, and 14):

The phrase "an adventure in the nature of a trade" has been considered in numerous income tax cases. The leading case concerning the question of what constitutes an adventure in the nature of trade is Happy Valley Farms Ltd. v. The Queen. At pages 6423-24 of that decision, Rouleau J. of the Federal Court, Trial Division, sets forth six tests which the Court should consider in determining this question. The tests or criteria are as follows: the nature of the property sold, the length of ownership, the frequency or number of other similar transactions by the taxpayer, the work performed on or in connection with the property, the circumstances giving rise to the sale and, finally, motive. ...

It is important to note that the tests outlined in the Happy Valley Farms case have no bearing on the determination as to whether or not the exception in subsection 191(5) applies. ...

The wording of subsection 191(5) makes it clear that a different test must be applied. That provision requires that the property actually be used first by the individual (who is a builder as defined) as a place of residence. That involves a simple factual determination as to whether or not the property was used as a family home after it was substantially completed. A secondary intention to resell the property at a later date is irrelevant to the determination as to whether or not the exception applies.

Subsection 191(6): The Student-Residence Exception

Subsection 191(6) exempts a university, public college, or school authority from the self-supply rule if the institution builds or substantially renovates a residential property for student housing.

The self-supply rules seek to prevent builders from gaining a tax advantage by claiming ITCs on personal-use or rental properties that they construct. If the builder weren't able to claim ITCs in the first place, there would be no need for the self-supply rule.

This is precisely the sort of situation that the student-residence exception anticipates. Universities, public colleges, and school authorities cannot claim ITCs on the GST/HST costs they incur when constructing student housing. So, they aren't the sort of entities that the self-supply rules aim to address.

Subsection 191(6.1): The Communal-Organization Exception

Under subsection 191(6.1), the self-supply rules don't apply if a communal organization (e.g., a religious community) builds or substantially renovates a residential property exclusively for the purpose of providing a place of residence for members of a community, society, or body.

The rationale underlying this exception is the same as that underlying the student-residence exception. Communal organizations cannot claim input tax credits on the GST/HST costs incurred when constructing communal housing.

Subsection 191(7): The Remote-Work-Site Election

Subsection 191(7) provides an election allowing a registrant builder to defer the GST/HST payable under a self-supply rule. The election becomes available if the builder acquires, constructs, or renovates a residential property to house an employee or contractor at a remote work site. Moreover, the builder may claim input tax credits for GST/HST costs incurred to maintain the property during the time that an employee or contractor resides there.

Tax Tips – GST/HST Self-Supply Rules & Exemptions

The self-supply rules trap many unsuspecting builders. If you are a GST/HST registrant and you plan on building a personal home, don't claim ITCs on your GST/HST costs. (Still, even if you do claim ITCs and thereby pay GST/HST under the self-supply rules, you might be able to claim the GST/HST New Housing Rebate for that tax.) You would benefit from discussing your options with one of our expert Canadian tax lawyers.

Moreover, our experienced Canadian tax lawyers have noticed that Canada Revenue Agency auditors tend to misconstrue the various self-supply exceptions and erroneously tax individuals under the self-supply rules. If you build residential properties and are the subject of a CRA audit, consult with one of our Canadian tax lawyers today.

Finally, if incurred GST/HST payable under a self-supply rule but failed to report that amount on your GST/HST return, contact one of our skilled Canadian tax lawyers to discuss remedial options like the Voluntary Disclosures Program.

The information is thought to be current to date of posting. Income tax law changes frequently and content may no longer reflect the current state of the law. This document is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should not act or rely on any information in this document without first seeking legal advice. This material is intended for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have any specific questions on any legal matter, you should consult a professional legal services provider.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Contact the Author?
Click here to email the Author
In Association with
In Partnership with
Other Canada Advice Centres
Competition and Antitrust
Mergers and Acquisitions
Labour and Employment
More Advice Centers
Useful Resources
Forms available to download for income tax filing in Canada.
Hear David J. Rotfleisch discuss timely and highly topical tax matters during appearances and interviews with specialist publications.
Useful explanatory videos of income tax matters.
The following questions and answers are based on the proposed measures that were announced on December 7, 2015.
The official Government website of the CRA.
This guide is for any person who deals with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The guide gives you information on the 16 rights set out in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights and explains what you can do if you believe that the CRA has not respected your rights.
The Office of the Taxpayers' Ombudsman (OTO) works to enhance the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) accountability in its service to, and treatment of, taxpayers and benefit recipients through independent and impartial reviews of service-related complaints and systemic issues.
Ontario personal income tax is an annual tax collected from individuals who are Ontario residents on the last day of the tax year or have income earned in Ontario for the tax year.
The following documents provide instructions for filing your 2015 income tax return.
If you earned income in B.C. or operated a Corporation with a permanent establishment in B.C. last year you need to file an income tax return. Find out when you need to file your income tax return, and if any tax credits or rebates apply to you.
Generally, a corporation must file an Alberta corporate income tax return (AT1) for each taxation year during which it has a permanent establishment in Alberta.
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Mondaq Sign Up
Gain free access to lawyers expertise from more than 250 countries.
Email Address
Company Name
Confirm Password
Mondaq Newsalert
Select Topics
Select Regions
Registration (you must scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions